Nut and Bolt List for BN2

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

cpcooper Craig Cooper
Chico, CA, USA   USA
OK, it's not really a new topic, but I'm trying to help out my friend who is restoring a factory M and working on a list of fasteners. Searching this forum, and the net, I find several mentions of "Bolts, nuts & washers and more for BN2 cataloged.." but I haven't been able to find the actual list anywhere. Anyone know where I might?

Thanks,

Craig

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Luegolover Avatar
Luegolover Steve L
London, London, UK   GBR
Well I would love an equivalent for a regular BN1. I keep buying bags of mixed nuts and bolts and then needing another length or thread etc. etc. I get them easy enough from Namrick in the UK but I am forever paying for postage.

RichBN6 Richard Wetjen
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
The specs for every fastner (stud, bolt, screw, nut & washer) are in the factory parts manuals listed with whatever they're holding together. You need the magic decoder ring to understand what each is see Appendix one of Gary Anderson and Roger Moment's Restoration Guide.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
cpcooper Craig Cooper
Chico, CA, USA   USA
We're working from both of those references and more, although some things, like rear shock bolts 52K 945, defy the code. (It's a 3/8 bolt either 1-1/8 or 1-1/4 long which, using the code would be HBZ0609 or HBZ0610). Looking at the BN7 parts manual, it became 53K 1045.

Because one of the cars to be restored came with very few fasteners, we began compiling a comprehensive list using parts manuals, etc, and another somewhat complete car. This is fairly tedious and It was suggested to me an inventory had already been done. Searching online and in this forum I've seen mention of a document "Bolts, nuts & washers and more for BN2 cataloged.." but I haven't been able to find the actual list anywhere. I'm pretty sure we can put one together, just don't want to do it only to find out it's already out there somewhere. Hope someone can direct me to it.

RichBN6 Richard Wetjen
It sure would be helpful to have the fastener specs called out in a separate list. Would save having to fish around in the parts manuals. I think the change to 53K1025 was because it's common with chrome bumper MGB, and MGC.

RichBN6 Richard Wetjen
I think the reason you're having difficulty with the rear shock mount bolts is that they're special high strength (grade 8) with a specific shoulder. Not something you're likely to find in the local hardware store.

Koudekerke, Zeeland, Netherlands   NLD
Craig,
Have you already looked on:

www.healey6.com/technical.htm

They give a list for the BN2 its a good starting point

PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
Ipswich, Queensland, Australia   AUS
G'day Craig,
I don't have the list but I can tell you from experience that "bolts" are not used much on Austin-Healeys. Most of the fasteners are "set-screws". The difference is that a bolt has a shank (part of the length has no thread) whereas a set-screw has thread all the way to the head of the fastener. That is unless America does not use the same description.
On BN1s & 2s the engine has BSF threads. BN1s also have BSF threads on the gearbox and the spiral bevel axle.

cpcooper Craig Cooper
Chico, CA, USA   USA
Johan nailed it! www.healey6.com/technical.htm indeed has the list of fasteners I was seeking. Thanks to all who replied.

Although I've restored several Healeys over the years, I've been paying more attention to details since my friend and neighbor began a BN2 project (well actually 2 BN2's now and a BN1). I've always just tried to put things back where they came from, but when there are lots of things missing or a car is completely stripped by someone else, sorting out the fasteners can be daunting.

Here are a few of the original fasteners I've cleaned up and plated for my current BN7 project. Compared to new, replacement nuts, bolts, and, yes, screws, I think they are quite nice.

Attachments:
Hardware 2.jpg    70.6 KB
Hardware 2.jpg

RichBN6 Richard Wetjen
You do want to be careful restoring and reusing fasteners. Did some PO replace the fastener sometime in the past with an incorrect one? Most of them will probably be fine but there are a few special ones. The rear shock mount bolts are a good example. I'm restoring a BN6 and also have a BN4 donor. Both had incorrect rear shock mount bolts. The BN4 had screws (threaded all the way up to the head) with no shoulders. They were all tight but the holes in the shocks were elongated and one ear cracked due to the missing shoulders. The BN6 had bolts with incorrect shoulders. Fortunately the holes in those shocks were acceptable for rebuild. I guess my point is that just because it comes off the car doesn't mean it's right to go back on. Even if it looks correct.

cpcooper Craig Cooper
Chico, CA, USA   USA
Good point on the rear shock bolts, as you pointed out earlier they are probably "grade 8", but I don't think they are shouldered, as in the traditional sense of a shouldered bolt having an unthreaded part which is greater diameter than the threaded section. I think they are simply a 3/8 UNF high grade bolt either 1-1/8 or 1-1/4 inches long. Apparently the Brits refer to a bolt threaded all the way to the head as a screw, and one with a plane section as a bolt. Healey shock bolts on both ends are weak points in the cars and I think it's a good idea to check them on a regular basis, like at oil change time. Now you've got me fixated on finding a set of OEM rear shock bolts for my BN7!

RichBN6 Richard Wetjen
You're probably correct about the shoulder terminology. What I know for sure is that the portion of the bolt that rests inside the shock flange should not be threaded.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links