AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MarkBD Avatar
MarkBD Mark D
LLandassillio, West Wales, UK   GBR
Hi All,
Has anybody fitted a side exit exhaust pipe to a standard 100/4 exhaust system, i was hopping that it wood help with keeping the cockpit cooler and keep heat a way from the fuel pump. Are there any advantage or disadvantage to doing this.

Thanks Mark. (1954 BN1)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Luegolover Avatar
Luegolover Steve L
London, London, UK   GBR
I've been wondering if I should go for a side exit exhaust as well. I like the look at the vibe of a side exit exhaust but the last open car I had with a side exhaust made it much louder for my wife and that doesn't appeal. Does it have ground clearance advantages?

PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
Ipswich, Queensland, Australia   AUS
G'day Mark,
I don't see how a side exhaust would make any difference to the cockpit temperature. In my opinion the side exhaust is unnecessary and not good for the passenger in a RH steer car. I have never had an issue with the fuel pump overheating from being mounted close to the exhaust pipe, and I live in a much warmer climate here in South-east Queensland.
Cheers,
Alwyn

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
gossie Avatar
gossie Howard Gostelow
Queensland, Gold Coast, Australia   AUS
Had extractors and side pipe on my 100/4.
Sounded magnificent when giving it plenty, and never heard Wife complain about the noise when out touring......Probably had my selective hearing on.

Michael S Avatar
Michael S Michael Salter
Dwight, ON, Canada   CAN
I had a side exit system on my MkIII briefly but in a LHD car it meant that the exit was less than a meter from my left ear ... the result was blinding headaches after only a short drive.

Michael Salter
Technical Chairman (Big Healeys)
Austin Healey Concours Committee

Michael Oritt Avatar
LUSBY, MD, USA   USA
I had a side exhaust on my 100 for several years, then went back to conventional exhaust. BTW I now wear hearing aids....

Best--Michael Oritt
1954 Austin-Healey 100 (street)
1958 Elva Courier (track) FOR SALE
1959 Elva MK IV sports racer (track)
1961 Ginetta G4 (track)

AlasCrag A Campbell
ABERFELDY, PERTHSHIRE, UK   GBR
Give it a go! Easy and cheap with custom made stainless steel pipe from www.everyexhaustpart.com - total length of the piece to connect to existing silencer was less than 300 mm (£20 in 2016). Hardest part was determining and cutting an aesthetically pleasing exit angle - a simple 45 degree won't do!

Michael Oritt Avatar
LUSBY, MD, USA   USA
Whjle you're getting your side-exhaust order a box of hearing protection devices such as those made by Uline :

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-19874/Hearing-Protection/Uline-Reusable-Earplugs-Corded?pricode=WB1267&gadtype=pla&id=S-19874&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2sbEt5ay2gIVx16GCh23BwfiEAYYBiABEgL5RPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I use these religiously when racing and they are both convenient and effective.

No matter how good the hearing protection may be you'll eventually need hearing aids and WIDEX is a good brand.

Best--Michael Oritt

Best--Michael Oritt
1961 Ginetta G4 (track)

Qldelsie Silver Member Giles Cooper
Benowa, Queensland, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 200497 by Michael Oritt Whjle you're getting your side-exhaust order a box of hearing protection devices such as those made by Uline :

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-19874/Hearing-Protection/Uline-Reusable-Earplugs-Corded?pricode=WB1267&gadtype=pla&id=S-19874&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2sbEt5ay2gIVx16GCh23BwfiEAYYBiABEgL5RPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I use these religiously when racing and they are both convenient and effective.

No matter how good the hearing protection may be you'll eventually need hearing aids and WIDEX is a good brand.

Best--Michael Oritt

Ha ha. I use Widex too ! Even have a "remote control" so I can turn them down / up / off without touching the aids themselves - Most useful when the wife can't see you have turned them off mid sentence !! winking smiley

Also got a side exhaust, but not like you are thinking of here. Ours is actually a rally type side exhaust we have made in order to get the pipes out from under the car completely to increase ground clearance. We started our car for the first time yesterday and surprisingly to us all she was actually very quiet ! Lots of heat shielding round my feet and side though !!
Giles

https://austin-healeypekingtoparis2019.blogspot.com.au/
https://www.facebook.com/austin.healey.73113?

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 3.53.03 pm.jpg    51.9 KB
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 3.53.03 pm.jpg

MarkBD Avatar
MarkBD Mark D
LLandassillio, West Wales, UK   GBR
Hi Giles,
That is a great conversion, love the car, if i was rebuilding my 100 that is exactly what i wood copy. I seem to have opened a can of worms with this subject so i am still not sure what i will do

Mark

Michael Oritt Avatar
LUSBY, MD, USA   USA
Giles--

Very nice but I doubt the GRP cover does anything to diminish the noise of the side-exhaust and remember that some of us drive on the left/correct side of the car in close proximity to the exhaust.

Check out my email to you re the WIDEX--I recently purchased the COMDEX link that lets me hear music,etc. from my android phone and has a setting to eliminate ambient noise. It is great, even at high speeds.

Best--Michael Oritt
1961 Ginetta G4 (track)

gramos Avatar
gramos Graham Foster
Kefalonia, Greece   GRC
Yes, I have tried side exit pipes on my 100 several times over the 40 + years in my hands and ,
one thing always sends me back to the tailpipe ,
the bloody noise !!
It is fairly obvious in these recent posts that noise is a big factor - the discussion has turned to earplug choices !

Ground clearance can be worse as the side pipe has to exit under the sill ahead of the rear wheel , I always flattened the pipe to limit the road contact .
Twas my wife who suffered more than I as it, s on her side of the car and on countless occasions ,
I would start the car JUST as she was getting in and she did not take kindly to having soot blown over her ankles !

I guess you, have to give it a go , but my money is on the tailpipe being re- fitted .

Also the side pipe will not produce that wonderful song as the car cruises along on a rising and falling throttle , instead it makes a kind of plappy sound ,
oh and something else came back to me
the dust that gets kicked up from the side pipe can annoy people on the path !

In reply to # 200534 by Michael Oritt Giles--

Very nice but I doubt the GRP cover does anything to diminish the noise of the side-exhaust and remember that some of us drive on the left/correct side of the car in close proximity to the exhaust.

Check out my email to you re the WIDEX--I recently purchased the COMDEX link that lets me hear music,etc. from my android phone and has a setting to eliminate ambient noise. It is great, even at high speeds.

"GRP" cover ? You think the exhaust cover is fibreglass ? Surely it would melt ? No, ours is metal all the way, and fully lined all the way round with heat and sound proofing. And as for sympathy for the ears of you left hookers, you won/t get any from me because I am actually the co-driver on this little adventure across the Gobi Desert, so it is close to me in the left seat !! We will also be wearing noise cancelling headphones and an intercom so we can talk more easily, so, in conjuction with my adjustable hearing aids, we will be just fine.
Anyway, we have no choice - We HAD to get the exhaust out from underneath the car. Ground clearance is vital. And with our sump now above the chassis, only the diff hangs down, and this will be covered in turn with a full length skid plate.

I will check out the COMDEX link - I just got some new aids and decided agains the smart phone link - Too complicated for me !

Giles

In reply to # 200544 by gramos Yes, I have tried side exit pipes on my 100 several times over the 40 + years in my hands and ,
one thing always sends me back to the tailpipe ,
the bloody noise !!
It is fairly obvious in these recent posts that noise is a big factor - the discussion has turned to earplug choices !

Ground clearance can be worse as the side pipe has to exit under the sill ahead of the rear wheel , I always flattened the pipe to limit the road contact .
Twas my wife who suffered more than I as it, s on her side of the car and on countless occasions ,
I would start the car JUST as she was getting in and she did not take kindly to having soot blown over her ankles !

I guess you, have to give it a go , but my money is on the tailpipe being re- fitted .

Also the side pipe will not produce that wonderful song as the car cruises along on a rising and falling throttle , instead it makes a kind of plappy sound ,
oh and something else came back to me
the dust that gets kicked up from the side pipe can annoy people on the path !

I guess we should clarify here that of course there are 3 different exhaust options - (As a Healey newby, I assumed for some time that a side exit exhaust was what we wanted, until I did more research and realised it didn't really increase ground clearance - But then all you Healey experts probably know this already, so forgive my repetition. ) A full length one with the rear exit. a side exit unit that uses the same headers etc as the first but just exits on the side - This one is still under the car and only increases ground clearance slightly. Then there is the major surgery option like ours where the headers come down as usual but then we have raised the entire system along the side of the car, shortening the LH door by some 12 inches. This option removes the exhaust totally from under the car.
Hadn't thought of the dust-throwing option, but as our exit pipe is much higher than a regular "side exit" exhaust, I don't think this will be an issue. Unless we want it to be when someone annoys us !!
Out of interest, our headers and muffler are in fact the 100M items from AH Spares - It is just the pipe connections, flex pipe, and cover that were designed and built on site.
Giles
(PS My first Healey was a red Mk III in 1976, and although I sold it a few years later, I have had the radio plate on my mantlepiece ever since. So maybe that qualifies me as "having owned (part of a) Healey for over 40 years ??? smiling smiley )

PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
Ipswich, Queensland, Australia   AUS
Giles, polyester resin as used in fibreglass composites, is a thermosetting resin. Once cured it cannot be reshaped with heat. When it reaches its combustion temperature it will ignite and burn, leaving only the glass fibres.
Your exhaust set up looks very neat, by the way.
Were my tonneau/hood mounting photos of any use to you?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1953 Austin Healey 100

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links