Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Michael Oritt Avatar
LUSBY, MD, USA   USA
Alwyn--

I am happy to be corrected about the MGB and frankly my knowledge of the Austin nomenclature system derives from my being a Healey owner and know very little about MG's.

What I have never heard or seen a good explanation for is why Austin chose to deviate from its own system in the case of the 100-6, and as I am sure you know the first models released were four-seaters but were nevertheless given an "N" when it should have been a "T", and it seems to me that the two versions should have been "BT4 for the four-seater and BN5 for the later-released two seaters.

Do you have any thoughts on this inconsistency?

Best--Michael Oritt
1954 Austin-Healey 100 (street)
1958 Elva Courier (track) FOR SALE
1959 Elva MK IV sports racer (track)
1961 Ginetta G4 (track)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
Ipswich, Queensland, Australia   AUS
Michael, I agree that Austin fouled up calling the first 100-Six BN4 instead of BT4. They compounded the error by calling the later two-seater BN6. I would suggest that perhaps the T (for tourer?) did not exist at the time of the introduction of the BN4. But logic seemed to take little part in the sequence of model designations.
What has often perplexed me is the way these designations are so frequently used by “big” Healey folk, but not by other Austin enthusiasts, including Sprite people!
Cheers mate.
Alwyn

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links