Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

thodav Avatar
thodav Thomas Davis
Owings Mills, MD, USA   USA
My car did not have a boot prop rod. If someone could post pictures of the top and bottom brackets/connection to the shroud and lid I’d appreciate it. I purchased a new prop rod and it became clear that I’m missing something. Thank you.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Genos Gene Stigen
Spanaway, WA, USA   USA
Most 100 cars didn't use prop rods like the 6 cyl cars. My '53 100 & others I've owned over the years all had ratching supports on the left side. All you do is lift to lock & lift yo release.

Qldelsie Silver Member Giles Cooper
Benowa, Queensland, Australia   AUS
Tom, our early '54 that originated in the US had the ratchet type support - Whether that came out of the factory like that I can't say !! To attach this item required a "tab" up on the LH side of the boot (trunk) lid. The lower end of the ratchet rod just screwed in somewhere down near the wheel arch. We can not re-attach our ratchet stay because our twin fuel pumps etc are now mounted down there, and simultaneously we are not using the rod bonnet (hood) stay any more. So last week I adapted our ex-bonnet (hood) rod and mounted that in the boot (truck) using the same "tab" that originally supported the ratchet.
Works perfectly !
However you probably want it standard, so this will be of no interest to you !
Giles

https://austin-healeypekingtoparis2019.blogspot.com.au/
https://www.facebook.com/austin.healey.73113?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
thodav Avatar
thodav Thomas Davis
I’m sorry. I wasn’t clear in my post. I purchased the ratchet prop for my car. I just need to know how it connects to the boot lid and the shroud. If someone could post a picture of the mount at either end of the ratched boot lid prop I’d appreciate it.

rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
1961 Austin-Healey 3000 BT7 "RUBY"
1963 Chevrolet C10 "Rusty"
Tom,
There is a picture of it in the Moss catalog under the following heading,

MOSS MOTORS> AUSTIN HEALEY 100, 100-6, 3000> BODY TRIM & FITTINGS> REAR BODY FITTINGS; 100-4

Item # 50. unfortunately as I'm sure you already know it isn't available but should be easy to fabricate.

Healey2 Avatar
Healey2 Curtis Arndt
CA, USA   USA
Thomas Davis,

I've attached four photos that should help clarify how these came from the factory. Where the telescoping rod attaches to the tab on the boot lid, it's secured by a 1/4" UNF bolt, then a British pattern flat washer and lastly a Nyloc nut on the back or inside. Even though the hole as original is large enough for a 5'16" bolt, a 1/4" one was used. And yes, Nyloc nuts were used originally in the 1950's.

On the bottom end, the telescoping rod attaches to the inner fender well with two 1/4" UNF bolts, the heads facing outwards towards the left rear wheel. Then a small unfinished/painted wooden spacer block, the bottom prop tab with two corresponding holes, British pattern flat washers and standard 1/4" nuts. There may have also been lock washers, but I cannot recall.

Cheers,

Curt

Attachments:
BN1 Boot Prop-6.jpg    29.2 KB
BN1 Boot Prop-6.jpg

BN1 Boot Prop-5.jpg    23.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
BN1 Boot Prop-3.jpg    28 KB
Wooden Block in boot of 5,200 original mile BN1 LACY.jpg    49.8 KB
thodav Avatar
thodav Thomas Davis
Thanks for the info!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links