Door Hinge Pin

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Texas57 Silver Member Robert C
Stephenville, TX, USA   USA
Anybody have a solution for repairing door hinges? I have 2 that could use some work.

Robert

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bluecatmodels Avatar
bluecatmodels Silver Member Dave W
Three Rivers, CA, USA   USA
Hi Robert,
What sort of problems?
Dave

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
1961 Austin-Healey 3000 BT7 "RUBY"
1963 Chevrolet C10 "Rusty"
Hello Robert.
I found a very simple fix that worked perfectly. I went to the local hardware store and purchased some 1/8" brass pipe nipples that were 6" long. I removed the old hinge pins from the hinges and drilled out the holes in the hinges using my drill press so that the 1/8" pipe nipples could be installed into the holes in the hinges with some effort. In other words the outer diameter of the pipe was the same dimension as the inner diameter of the hole that I drilled. I cut the pipe to the length I needed so the ends of the pipe fit flush with the top and bottom of the hinges.I used my bench vice to press the pipe into the holes in the hinges using "RED Loctite" on the out side of the nipple. I then drilled out the brass pipe so i could install new 1/4" stainless steel pins that I fashioned from 1/4" stainless bolts. Once the pins were installed I peened the bolt end so it couldn't be removed. Took me about 1 hour to fix both hinges on the driver door. They fit tight without any play what so ever and there is no sag or movement in the door.
Pete,
rusty1c

bluecatmodels Avatar
bluecatmodels Silver Member Dave W
Three Rivers, CA, USA   USA
Robert,
You might want to take one of the hinge pins out and see if the local auto supply house has one that will fit. There are many different sizes. I believe that on the 100-6 and the BT7 the top and bottom hinges are the same size.
Dave

Leyburn, North Yorkshire, UK   GBR
My hinges were 5/16 ths inch diameter, I reamed them out to 8mm, bought a couple of lengths of 8mm silver steel, also machined the butting faces and made brass washers, two per hinge, to prevent the castings making contact.

Thanks for the measurements... it is a place to start.

Robert

Leyburn, North Yorkshire, UK   GBR
Have now seen your video, really is some wear there, may need to open all the hinge holes up to 3/8 " or even 10mm, then silver steel, ground stock, it can be found at both Amazon and ebay in the UK, though I'm sure it will be available in the US, just don't know what you call it.Look at the reduction in hinge bearing wall thickness before going this big, if it looks rather thin might be better to bush say 1/4" at each end of the most worn part, the centre section if I remember correct. Good luck!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1958 Austin Healey 100 Six

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links