We're back! New secure web server is online   Read More
AHExp

The 100-Six Forum

Engine temperature and leaking freeze plugs...

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dkgraber85 Avatar
dkgraber85 Darin Graber
SLC UT, USA   USA
1955 MG TF
1957 Austin-Healey 100-Six "Brutus"
Hello to the group.

While restoring my 100-6, I re-cored my radiator, put new hoses on, electric fan, etc. Over time, I have noticed when the car is in traffic the temperature rises fairly quickly. At first, the car wouldn't heat up over 160 degrees, ever. I have noticed lately that I have some freeze plugs starting to leak. Could this contribute to the temperature rise? Thanks in advance.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Darin,

Unless you're losing a lot of coolant through the freeze plugs it wouldn't cause the temp rise. What temp does the car reach when in traffic? Running 160 degrees seems a little low, the sweet spot for my Healeys has always been around 185-190 degrees. Of course you'll have to replace the freeze plugs, but I don't think that will solve your temp rise problem.

RichBN6 Richard Wetjen
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
Kevin is probably correct but, if the leak is large enough to cause a loss of coolant pressure, it could cause a temp increase. Pressure test your cooling system. If it holds pressure reasonably well then the plugs aren't a temp issue. Just a nuisance maintenance issue.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links