Austin Healey 100/6 1959 Loss of power/torque

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

AJPope Andrew Pope
Derby, Derbyshire, UK   GBR
Hi, I cannot rev beyond 3000rpm in second gear when under load (climbing a hill) . Runs fine on the flat. Compression test is all good. Fuel pump new, air filters new, With my foot to the floor it just won't push on. Engine revs fine otherwise.
Anyone experienced this? Could it be the carbs setup?
I have electronic ignition, new ht leads, new high power coil. I'm sure it should have a bit more grunt than it is providing ☹️

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
1961 Austin-Healey 3000 BT7 "RUBY"
1963 Chevrolet C10 "Rusty"
Andrew,
Sounds like it isn't getting enough fuel at the top end when the engine is under full load. Check the needle and jet. Also check for clogged screens at the inlet to each carb and any fuel filters that you may have in the system. Remember always start with the simple things first and you will usually find the problem.
Pete

AJPope Andrew Pope
Hi Pete,
Thank you for responding. I suspected the in-line fuel filter, and have a replacement on the way. I know all the fuel line and strainers on the carbs are clean and clear.
I was wondering if a thinner oil in the dash pots would help? Jets and needles are good. Not sure if the mixture is set correctly though
Regards Andy

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
Andy,
Have you checked the distributor to see if the vacuum advance unit is working? You should get approximately 35 degrees total advance at around 3000 rpm.
Pete

AJPope Andrew Pope
Hi Pete, I have a 123 Electronic ignition fitted, so that should not be a problem. I can set up the advance curve via an app on my iPhone
Regards Andy

rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, CA, USA   USA
I’m at a bit of a loss then. I’ll have to assume it’s fuel then.
Pete

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links