Longbridge door seals

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Texas57 Silver Member Robert C
Stephenville, TX, USA   USA
I am repairing the hinges on my 57 and ran into a few problems... go figure.
First off the scuttle rubber was installed by attempting to glue it on with a rather large amount of some black goop. Its a black hard substance that is almost impossible to remove... although it didn't stick to rubber very well. So I have removed the old scuttle rubber and am awaiting replacements of those. Mine was attached with screws.. From (http://www.healeysix.net/Scuttle.htm ) that isn't the normal way to install these rubber parts. What fasteners are used to hold the scuttle rubber to the body?
While having the door off and am relatively close to the door seals.. I noticed that they were in pretty bad shape.. So i have ordered a replacement for the 6 rubber seals that "t" into the channel that runs around the door frame. Here is my problem... while researching door seals on a Longbridge, I found a reference to furflex ( http://www.healeysix.net/LongbridgeInt.htm). Can someone with a Longbridge send me a few photos of where this stuff attaches to the inner door frame ? My 57 didn't come with the furflex installed.

Third problem is with the door cards.. I removed the screws that hold the card to the door, but cannot get the area around the door handle to release.. whats the trick? There is always a trick to anything on an AH.. its never simple IMO.

I am also looking for a sway bar.. for some reason mine was not installed when the last owner installed a rack and pinion steering system.

The things that one finds done to an Austin Healey boggles the mind...

Cheers
Robert

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Robert,

The scuttle rubber was originally held in place with split pin rivets, when I replaced my scuttle rubber all the split pins broke so I used pop rivets instead. It's not really concourse(not really into that anyway)but I found the pop rivets hold the scuttle rubber more firmly than the original split rivets. I don't recall the use of any adhesive.

The furflex attaches behind the rear edge of the kick panel, I don't recall if it was glued or screwed(glued I think.

As far as the door panels go(I know the Brits call them door cards but they never looked much like cards to me)I assume you're trying to remove them. To do that you'll need to remove the door handle. The handle is held in place with a pin just behind the door panel, if you push the panel in you should be able to access pin and tap it out.

You should be able to source an ANTI-sway from any of the AH parts suppliers.

dkgraber85 Avatar
dkgraber85 Darin Graber
SLC UT, USA   USA
1955 MG TF
1957 Austin-Healey 100-Six "Brutus"
Robert -

Here is a GREAT resource for the Longbridge Healey's - http://www.healeysix.net

I used this a lot when putting my BN4 Longbridge back together. I had no idea what was supposed to be around the door opening because everything was missing. I attached a shot of the 'A' pillar showing the furflex you asked about. It should actually be attached to the kick panel and left past the edge to cover over the end of the door opening when the door is closed.

As far as the scuttle seas are concerned, they would normally be held on by split rivets and small washers.

Good Luck

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
doorsealdash.jpg    29 KB
doorsealdash.jpg

Texas57 Silver Member Robert C
Stephenville, TX, USA   USA
Thanks for the help.. I will include a few photos to better illustrate my question. If you look at the photo of the furflex on the white car and the corresponding area on my 57.. How does the furflex attach all the way up to the windshield frame? Is there any other place that furflex is used on the door frame?

Thanks

Robert

Attachments:
scuttle1.jpeg    42.2 KB
scuttle1.jpeg

sill.jpeg    40.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
latch.jpeg    32.2 KB
dkgraber85 Avatar
dkgraber85 Darin Graber
SLC UT, USA   USA
1955 MG TF
1957 Austin-Healey 100-Six "Brutus"
Robert,

The 'flap' on the furflex that is glued to the back of the kick panel continues up to the top of the opening by being captured between the dash and the windshield post. I took the mounting bolts slightly loose, slid the flap underneath, and tightened them up again. Thats it. I think I had to cut out a couple of reliefs for the windshield bolts. Attached pics of my Longbridge BN4 - It has the correct weatherseal, furflex and piping in the door openings. Best.

Attachments:
IMG_0557.jpg    38.7 KB
IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg    39.8 KB
IMG_0559.jpg    44.7 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Austin Healey 3000 BT7

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links