AHExp

The Sprite Forum

What Sprite do you drive? New Members, introduce yourself!

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

gripper180 robert taylor
essex, UK   GBR
hi all,
i have been on the mgb and mgc forum as i have a 68 cgt. i am new to the sprite forum as i am picking up a 61 frogeye on saturday. it was restored in 2010 and im sure i will need your knowledge along the way. just one thing that is bothering me but won't stop me buying the car is the rear deck that is behind the rear seats is not tight up behind the seats it is about 8 inches further back like the mk11 sprite. did they make the late ones like that as i was told or is it a modification to make more room behind seats.i have looked on google images and have seen 3 more like it. will post some pictures when i pick it up.

thanks bob.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
garm Avatar
garm Gold Member Garm Beall
Chatsworth, CA, USA   USA
Can you clarify "the rear seats"?

1960 Bugeye Sprite
1953 Dodge M37 army truck
1965 Sunbeam Imp
1967 Ford Cortina
1969 Subaru 360 micro van
1972 Honda Z600
1977 Porsche 911 slant
1984 Cushman Vanster
2003 GO-4 meter maid 3-wheeler

refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Welcome Robert. The opening behind the seats is a mod, they never came from the factory that way. Also, there were no '61 Frogeyes produced. Production ended in December of '60. Your car may have been sold and registered in '61 though, and that's what was used on the documentation. smileys with beer

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SapitoPR Avatar
SapitoPR Jorge Olazagasti
San Juan, PR, USA   USA
Modification it is!

SapitoPR Avatar
San Juan, PR, USA   USA
In reply to # 201319 by refisk Welcome Robert. The opening behind the seats is a mod, they never came from the factory that way. Also, there were no '61 Frogeyes produced. Production ended in December of '60. Your car may have been sold and registered in '61 though, and that's what was used on the documentation. smileys with beer

Mine is early 58 registered in 59.

gripper180 robert taylor
essex, UK   GBR
Hi all. The car was restored 10 yr ago and this cut back on the rear deck I think was done for easier access and the elderly gents wheel chair. It was done to a good standard but no alloy trim fitted. He had a small tonneuo cover made to fit level to just behind seat so hides everything. Would this turn u off the car or would u find it acceptable. Probably make it less valuable. Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks bob

garyfrogeye Avatar
garyfrogeye Gary Lazarus
London, UK   GBR
It wouldn't bother me but if someone wants a concourse frogeye then perhaps. Some people cut them back to fit children in, for the pet dog, to fit a roll bar from a later Spridget. All kinds of reasons.
Does your Frogeye appear on the photographic database of UK registered mk1 Sprite which I run?
www.frogeye.smugmug.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-09 02:55 AM by garyfrogeye.

gripper180 robert taylor
essex, UK   GBR
hi gary have sent you pm. thanks bob

Hemidavey Dave Rudziensky
Grosse Isle, MI, USA   USA
Hi again, have a photo to share, day I picked her up. John is the fellow close to car, who restored it years ago.

Attachments:
image.jpg    50.7 KB
image.jpg

lewisracing Avatar
lewisracing Michael Scott
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum, joined today. A quick history on our 1958 Sprite; my Dad bought it in 1970 in Jacksonville, FL from a TN owner when he was with Hurricane Hunters in the Navy, 20-21 years old at the time. He autocrossed it a few times, then stripped it down to bare metal and stored it in our garages since before I was born in 1978. The car has been part of my life since I was a baby playing in the chassis tub. He meant to restore it someday, but passed away in 2015. One of the last things has asked us was what we were going to do with the car, and I told him I would rebuild it someday.

I started working on it in September 2017, and as of now, almost drivable. It is only in primer. We want to enter it into a car show in PA on Labor Day 2018 and be able to drive it there, since my Dad would go there yearly and tell us that someday he wanted to bring the Sprite there. Then after that, I will strip it down again and have it blasted and painted properly in time for the same show Labor Day 2019. I also plan to drive it to a few local places this summer.

The caveat to all of this; I live in Los Angeles and the car is in PA, so I have to fly back and forth every 2 weeks to work on it. In between trips, I place my Moss Motors and Victoria British orders. winking smiley

Thanks all for hosting me and I apologize in advance for any rookie questions. I have had to learn how to build this car from scratch over the last 9 months and it hasn't been easy.

Inherited my father's 1958 AH Sprite, currently restoring from bare metal and rusty parts out of cardboard boxes after 40+ years in storage.

pop5948 Avatar
pop5948 Silver Member Wayne Telman
Townville, SC, USA   USA
Michael,

Welcome to the forum. I admire your dedication to your father's dream and your fortitude in achieving the objectives he set forth. I am a Navy veteran and a contemporary of your father. You lost him too early. Blessings to you in your endeavors. I hope that my son will share your passion and take over my 61 Bugeye Sprite when I am called home.

Best Regards,

Wayne

TedRishel Theodore Rishel
Long Beach, MS, USA   USA
Well, there goes my excuse for not driving 45 minutes to work on mine!! Thanks bro!
Great story. Thanks for sharing. We want pics.

SapitoPR Avatar
San Juan, PR, USA   USA
Wellcome Michael , I also own a 58, rebuilt more than 25 years ago and still looking good. It shows less than 5 k miles ( since restored ) My story is slightly different : My first usable car was another Sprite, 1960, which i bought in 1968 and used as every day transportation for about a year. Marriage plans called for a bigger, more practical car.... and it was sold, ( to my regret!) Ive always kept myself in the British car fever; having worked in many restorations including this Bugeye which i acquired about seven years ago . Got many photos and advice if needed, just let me know.

Jorge

SapitoPR Avatar
San Juan, PR, USA   USA
Sorry, forgot to attach photos!

Attachments:
IMG_0431.jpg    47 KB
IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg    45.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0882.jpg    102.7 KB
DSCN0001.jpg    93.3 KB
hcallaway Holt C
Moseley, VA, USA   USA
I have been working on my 1960 Bugeye for the last 2 years in Richmond Virginia. It is a complete redo.
I have wanted a Bugeye since the early 80's when a neighbor was driving a Red one around. I had a Spitfire and it was a great car but the Bugeye was the nut.
There is a pretty extensive build post on the link below.
It has been a labor of love and extremely time consuming. I feel that I am past the halfway point. I tend to jump around my builds. When I hit a wall I
move on towards another part and then revisit when parts arrive, the frustration has ended or a new idea catches on.

I have used this site many times for pictures and ideas. It is a great resource.

http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?104067-Richmond-VA-1960-Bugeye-Bringing-Miss-Eva-back-to-life

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-10 08:43 PM by hcallaway.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1963 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links