Sprite steering wheel removal

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Alans 66 Sprite Alan G.
Covington, PA, USA   USA
Im sure this has been done to death so sorry but I looked in the Wrorkshop book and in the Haines book and I dont see anything about how to pull the steering wheel. I dont want to break anything so I figured I would ask if anyone knows how it comes off.
I have the three spoke banjo style wheel .

thank you.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pixelsmithusa Avatar
Normally pull it toward you as you work a little side-to-side pressure on it. The splines will usually be very tight, so some lubricant spray may or may not help. However, leave the nut loose BUT STILL IN PLACE while you do this if you value your teeth. It can give way suddenly and use your face as a backstop.

Also, a 2 or three eared puller can work to break it loose if you have the right style and can hook the outer edge of the hub. Use caution as to not damage the bakelite.

BTW, a 3 spoke banjo steering wheel was not stock on these cars, so you should post a pic also.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-12 07:07 PM by pixelsmithusa.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Alan,

I've had good luck with the John Twist method.....here's a video....

Just try to be gentle and pull straight. Good luck!

Gerard,

The three spoke Banjo wheel was stock on a '66 Sprite. It has three spokes with two wires in each spoke, rather than three wires like on the MGB.

In reply to # 174727 by Alans 66 Sprite Im sure this has been done to death so sorry but I looked in the Wrorkshop book and in the Haines book and I dont see anything about how to pull the steering wheel. I dont want to break anything so I figured I would ask if anyone knows how it comes off.

thank you.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pixelsmithusa Avatar
D'oh!, I was thinking he had a Bugeye!! ... confused smiley

In reply to # 174731 by refisk Alan,

I've had good luck with the John Twist method.....here's a video....

Just try to be gentle and pull straight. Good luck!

Gerard,

The three spoke Banjo wheel was stock on a '66 Sprite. It has three spokes with two wires in each spoke, rather than three wires like on the MGB.

In reply to # 174727 by Alans 66 Sprite Im sure this has been done to death so sorry but I looked in the Wrorkshop book and in the Haines book and I dont see anything about how to pull the steering wheel. I dont want to break anything so I figured I would ask if anyone knows how it comes off.

thank you.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
As per Gerards post, leave the nut on the shaft or you'll be sorry!
Rut

Alans 66 Sprite Alan G.
Covington, PA, USA   USA
Yes this has the three spoke / 2 wire each style wheel. I dont see how the horn assembly comes off. I understand the nut part and not hitting my self in the face ( been there done that ) but does the horn assy just pop off some how ?
I did go back and look at the book and it is vauge as to just how it comes off. The book I have just says , " remove steering wheel" There are no pictures in the book showing how it is put together. I loooked at the video posted but its for a stamped aluminum after market wheel.
I dont want to sick a screwdriver in there and start breaking stuff.

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
There is a seam there for the horn push. Not a screwdriver but a putty knife. Work in there and around the rim and it will pop off. A Friction fit now held in place with grime. Unless DPO glued in place.

sheepguy Avatar
sheepguy Dave B
Yarrow, BC, Canada   CAN
1965 Austin-Healey Sprite "The Sprite"
1970 Other Not Listed "Massey Ferguson 165"
2000 Ford F-350 "The Leviathan"
Hi Alan, on my '65 Sprite the horn push needs to be firmly pushed in, then twisted counter-clockwise about 20 degrees. See the attached photos to see why (sorry for the crappy camera). The copper adapter is held in place by the steering wheel nut and the photo shows the underside of the horn push. You don't want to wreck the original Sprite horn push with the Austin coat of arms 'cause they're really hard to find...

Attachments:
P3130001.JPG    31.3 KB
P3130001.JPG

P3130002.JPG    30 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
P3130003.JPG    28.1 KB
Alans 66 Sprite Alan G.
Covington, PA, USA   USA
OK , very good . At least now I have a better idea. I did try too gently pry it up put it felt like it was "spring loaded " and kept snapping back. I will try the push & twist plan next. Yes I have looked at steering wheels etc and IF you can find one they are expensive .I dont want an after market one , I like the one thats on there now . The one on there now has a broken spoke. I have repaired steering wheels before and feel I can get this one back also. the last one was on my 1953 Dodge Powerwagon M37 , its a little bigger than the Sprite but just as much fun.

Attachments:
t4.jpg    71.6 KB
t4.jpg

ltcrainman Silver Member Raymond King
Lawton, OK, USA   USA
I used a small plastic trim removal pry bar to pop the cover on the hood and then a 1 1/16" deep well socket with an 18" breaker bar (1/2' drive) to remove the nut underneath.

Next I put the nut back on a bit and, sitting in the seat, used my knees to apply gentle but firm upward pressure while slightly rocking the wheel back and forth while pulling up.

It came off with about 30 seconds of effort.

Good Luck!

Attachments:
69AHMK4 - Steering Wheel Nut - 26 DEC 14.JPG    30.7 KB
69AHMK4 - Steering Wheel Nut - 26 DEC 14.JPG

69AHMK4 - Dash & Steering Wheel 01 - 21 DEC 14.JPG    48 KB
69AHMK4 - Steering Wheel Removed 03 - 01 JAN 15.JPG    26.4 KB
Alans 66 Sprite Alan G.
Covington, PA, USA   USA
OK,,it went above freezing in my garage. I got the steering wheel off thanks to the help found here. The horn button came off with the PRESS & TWIST ANTI CLOCKWISE TURN. Got the nut off , sprayed the spline with WD40 and let it sit for a day. Then sat in the seat , put knees close to the hub , push up on wheel, place 7/8ths socket on nut that was backed out 5 turns and gave the socket a good thump with a 5 pound hammer . Pop it came right off, Ta Da
Rewelded the broken spoke rods to the wheel ring filled in the wound with industrial black epoxy and a little clean up and it looks very good and is now a solid safe wheel. AND best of all saved a load of money .

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Good job! thumbs up

In reply to # 175077 by Alans 66 Sprite OK,,it went above freezing in my garage. I got the steering wheel off thanks to the help found here. The horn button came off with the PRESS & TWIST ANTI CLOCKWISE TURN. Got the nut off , sprayed the spline with WD40 and let it sit for a day. Then sat in the seat , put knees close to the hub , push up on wheel, place 7/8ths socket on nut that was backed out 5 turns and gave the socket a good thump with a 5 pound hammer . Pop it came right off, Ta Da
Rewelded the broken spoke rods to the wheel ring filled in the wound with industrial black epoxy and a little clean up and it looks very good and is now a solid safe wheel. AND best of all saved a load of money .

Mglinkow Michael Glinkowski
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
Let me know where I can find a horn push assembly (horn push, spring and the copper hub) for my 1966 AH Sprite steering wheel (two wire in each 3 spokes). They ARE VERY hard to find.
Thanks, Michael.

Jacquettefx Frank Jacquette
Lewes, DE, USA   USA
I have to do the same for a Bugeye wheel still attached to the steering column which is not in the car. Getting the horn push off is what scares me. Does that also get the twist or is it a straight pry up as mentioned? Thanks. By the way, after 40 years the engine and trans went back in today!

Frank

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
In reply to # 198954 by Jacquettefx I have to do the same for a Bugeye wheel still attached to the steering column which is not in the car. Getting the horn push off is what scares me. Does that also get the twist or is it a straight pry up as mentioned? Thanks. By the way, after 40 years the engine and trans went back in today!

Frank

I like to use a butter knife or cheese spreader to remove the horn push being very careful. To remove the steering wheel from the shaft when it is out of the car you will need a gear puller or dedicated steering wheel puller. You can probably take it to your FLAPS and they will loan you either one.
Rut

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links