We're back! New secure web server is online   Read More
AHExp

The Sprite Forum

Basket Case 1960 Bugeye with Rust... Hell no.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
Have done that bit. That rusty part looks a bit of a bodge job. Are your three
"spacers" big enough? The ones on the "bodge" look bigger. Also on the spring
hanger. The strengthening top hat on the floor pan should have "slotted" holes
which allows a bit of movement to the spring itself. Connect everything up
loosely. Only tighten when car is on its tires. Is the radius arm mounting bracket
OK. They are "handed" ie left & right. There is a "spacer" part no AHA5224
shown in my workshop parts book that is shown fitting on inside of radius arm
where bolt goes through but on inside next the spacer welded to the mounting
bracket. Trust this helps.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
Good info Westy...

The spacer washers are about 1/16th less, but the originals were only there to avoid that 1" strengthening buckle.

I think I might have to "slot" the L/R radius holding brackets to get some movement and possibly even shave some metal off the inner side of the bracket and shim.

I don't remember seeing the spacers on the radius arm that went into the bracket on the rear end. Probably got pushed into the big box of nuts and bolts.

All in all a great deal of guessing and probably some "adjustments" that are not stock... but the radius arm has to be centered or the rubber bushings will perish quickly.

Thanks again as usual.

BG

westburn70 Eric Flack
AH Spares list that "spacer" which I recall wondering if I could fit a stainless steel one
New rear springs as supplied are ten leaf. Now a British Company britishc;lassiccarparts.com
are offering British designed and made to original spec. 15 leaf. But very costly!
£455,98 British £s The current 10 leaf "new" springs might require you to drive about
with cwt bag of cement in the boot to get the springs to sit down! So if you see any good
second hand on e bay grab them! The later MK2 Sprite 1./4 elliptics have a "gasket" to
prevent road dirt etc getting into the spring box and rusting it out. Worth fitting or make your own.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
A few pictures with the weather cooperating. Slow sledding lately. Will this ever get done???

Had to make a few adjustments to get it all back together again, but it appears to be working.

BG

Attachments:
BE REAR 1.jpg    19.4 KB
BE REAR 1.jpg

BE REAR 3.jpg    15.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
westburn70 Eric Flack
Looking great. Do not tighten everything up until the car is on its road wheels. There are ort
were break rear rods with threaded ends which meant you could make more slight adjustments
to the rear brakes.

BlueMax1 Avatar
BlueMax1 A G
?, ?, USA   USA
Something appears wrong with the rear springs in full droop? Do you have your axle strap in place?

BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
On the straps. I've purposely not attached them until I'm ready to put the car on the ground.

I had them attached and the extra weight might have caused them to "perish" early.

Tks for asking.

BG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links