Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Dantheman84 Daniel Alcorn
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Hi There
My Name is Daniel and I'm from Ballarat in Victoria, Australia. I thought I would start a thread on my 1964 Austin Healey Sprite rebuild. Before sharing my project I just wanted to take the opportunity to thank this site for the information, knowledge and options that it provides for all things Austin Healey/Sprite. I also look forward to meeting other like minded members on here and share this journey with them!!

My project is a 1964 Mk 3 Austin Healey Sprite. I've had the car for a couple of years now but only in the last 6 months have I started to do some work on it. I plan to fully rebuild the car as it is in quite poor condition. Being a Sprite it has had it's fair share of rust, so I thought it best to start at the front of the car and work my way back. My plan is at this stage to make a Sebring replica Alloy body for it but this is still in the planning stage. At the moment I'm working on getting all the inner body structure sound and rust free before I move onto the outer. I just thought I'd share some photos and text of my project thus far. I will post a couple of photos to start with of what the car looked like when I bought it.
Cheers
Daniel

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0191.jpg    52 KB
IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg    45.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
zaczac Jason Lenz
Landsborough, Queensland, Australia   AUS
cool. I have a 62 jigsaw piece right now, but she will go back together one day....you got much rust to sort out?

Bwana Avatar
Bwana John Joubert
Point Lonsdale, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Big project, look forward to watching the progress and seeing shots of your beast on the ‘Great Ocean Road ‘ l will meet you down there smiling smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Thanks guys for the interest. Great Ocean road sounds good, wish I had it finished now! I guess they say that patience is a virtue!!

In reply to # 196879 by zaczac cool. I have a 62 jigsaw piece right now, but she will go back together one day....you got much rust to sort out?

Thats the go, yours should be a fun project. At least they are a small car so easy to work on. Yes, I will post some progress pics of my rust repairs and replacement panels. Cheers
Daniel

After stripping the car down, I came across some accident damage to the front end, bent chassis rails indicated this quite clearly. Along with that, some of the reinforcement panels and inner guards which are part of the front sheetmetal had rust and were quite thin in parts.
This made the decision quite easy for me to fabricate new panels. Before doing this, I was careful to take many reference measurements as I want it to all go back together correctly. I am a sheetmetal worker by trade.
I made a simple brace to tie the front shock/engine mount points together, then it was a matter of disassembly armed with a drill and spot weld cuttergrinning smiley

Attachments:
IMG_2977.jpg    59.7 KB
IMG_2977.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg    59.2 KB
IMG_3076.jpg    59 KB
Starting with the front inner guards, I needed to make tooling to put the triangular pressing into the panels. This was just a simple tool using some plate etc and clamping the sheet in between while pressing in a small workshop press. There is a 5mm lip that is turned out at 90 degress around the outside of the larger panels which I turned by hand, hence the light sanding marks around the edge of panel. I gave it a light sand once I had dressed the turned up lip.

Attachments:
IMG_2957.jpg    59.6 KB
IMG_2957.jpg

IMG_2966.jpg    61.4 KB
IMG_3673.jpg    46.9 KB
Photos of parts during and after fabrication.

Attachments:
IMG_3680.jpg    30.9 KB
IMG_3680.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg    36 KB
IMG_3689.jpg    33.8 KB
Some more photos of the front sheet metal, these are some parts for the inner guards. The swage or bead in the panels is not original but I decided to put it in because I think it looks better and stiffens up the panels.

Attachments:
IMG_3698.jpg    50.4 KB
IMG_3698.jpg

IMG_3699.jpg    26.1 KB
The battery tray which joins the left and right footwell was rusted out, so I made a new one. These typically rust out.

Attachments:
IMG_3702.jpg    45.2 KB
IMG_3702.jpg

20170831_184953_HDR.jpg    27 KB
20170831_185002_HDR.jpg    22.9 KB
After fabricating the parts for the front inner guards I could then assemble and spot weld them together. I am fortunate enough to have access to a pedestal 240 volt spot welder which is invaluable.

Attachments:
20170831_200841_HDR.jpg    31.4 KB
20170831_200841_HDR.jpg

20170831_200859_HDR.jpg    37.9 KB
Dimadee Tim Lennon
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Hi Daniel,

Firstly....wow! Your sheetmetal work makes me green with envy.

I am in Melbourne and currently working on a 1959 Frogeye. I have a blog here, but don't look too closely as it might make you cringe. I don;t have the tool or skills to match you :-)

I look forward to sharing your journey.

Yours Spritely

Tim

Check out my Bugeye blog here: https://59bugeyesprite.wordpress.com/

saaboat Bill Trench
South Salem, NY, USA   USA
wow

Bwana Avatar
Bwana John Joubert
Point Lonsdale, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Amazing , jealous of your talent !!!

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, CO, USA   USA
That just shows what a hack I am!
And, that with the right mix of tools, equipment and skill, you can recreate anything. That looks great.

'58 Bugeye
'66 'Stang

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1956 Austin Healey 100

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links