power for the fuel pump

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Healeybob Bob Bishop
littleton, CO, USA   USA
I am restoring a 60 bugeye. I have a rebuilt 1275 and a new pump and wire harness. I dont see any wires in the rear for the pump. Where do the pump wires come from?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ron1961bugeye Ron Anderson
Philomath, OR, USA   USA
Since the original wiring did not include wires for a rear electric pump, your new wiring harness may not have that added feature. If not, you'll need to add a wire to feed power to the electric fuel pump. Connect the fuel pump power to the ignition switch such that when the key is on the pump will operate; when off, the pump is off.

Ron

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, CO, USA   USA
Or put a switch under/on the dash. If you don't label it, it makes for a great theft prevention circuit.
I ran the wires along with the original harness under the passenger's door and along the rear fender, from there, you can run it through where the fuel filler gasket is, or punch a small hole in the axle hump, and using a grommet, run the wire along the fuel line to the pump. If you are running pos ground still, don't forget to isolate the pump body from ground and wire appropriately.

'58 Bugeye
'66 'Stang

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-04 08:33 AM by AN5L8016.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
garm Avatar
garm Gold Member Garm Beall
Chatsworth, CA, USA   USA
Bob, which pump did you buy?

1960 Bugeye Sprite
1953 Dodge M37 army truck
1965 Sunbeam Imp
1967 Ford Cortina
1969 Subaru 360 micro van
1972 Honda Z600
1977 Porsche 911 slant
1984 Cushman Vanster
2003 GO-4 meter maid 3-wheeler

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
I did the same job recently and installed an SU that works +/- Ground. Makes the right tick, tick noises. You need a pump < 3 PSI. There is a fairly inexpensive pump < $50 I got at Advance Auto. Its a generic pump marketed under a number of different brands. I did need to replace one of these on a '68 Sprite I had after about 6 months of running.

Use some rubber grommets to help isolate the pump.

New Wiring Harness I have on order includes a switched Run going back to the Pump. A $10 additional item via British Wiring when I ordered.

Healeybob Bob Bishop
littleton, CO, USA   USA
Sounds like I need to run a wire? What should I connect it to? Is it a negative line? Grounded to the chassis?

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
Is your car Positive or Negative Ground? Does the positive battery cable go to the firewall(positive ground) or does it go to the starter/I can’t remember if a ‘65 had a pull to start Switch. Tell us how you are set up presently and then we can tell you how to connect the fuel pump.

Healeybob Bob Bishop
littleton, CO, USA   USA
I have a traditional positive ground car. 1960.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1957 Austin Healey 100 Six

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links