rebuilding H2 throttle shaft bushings

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Vg569 Silver Member Victor Gaines
Lagrangeville, NY, USA   USA
HI everyone. I'm currently rebuilding a 1970s 1275 engine for my Bugeye. I bought a pair of H2 carbs for it and the throttle shafts are definitely loose. I found a DIY solution from another forum here: http://www.chicagolandmgclub.com/driveline00/1001/jasw.html. It looks quite doable except one step I don't know how to approach: The idea is to take a long-stemmed reamer and manually twist it backwards through the carb body holes, with the long stem aligning the holes on both sides to be in synch.

The part I don't know how to do is to "grind the back edges of the reamer flutes" so they are sharp. The back edges need to be sharp because that is where the reaming starts. What should I use to "grind" and what am I shooting for? Should i make the edges chamfered like the other end or make them sharp like diamond points? Should I use a dremel or something else? (I tried a fine hand file, that didn't make a dent).

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0579.jpg    34.8 KB
IMG_0579.jpg

westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
Look up Burlen in the UK. They make SU carbs and can sell you all the individual bits! So might be easier buying the part new.

smokey1971 Avatar
smokey1971 Les Boardman
St. Petersburg, FL, USA   USA
Use a grinding stone and knock off the square point. See picture

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
reamer.jpg    26.6 KB
reamer.jpg

Got it - thanks Les

smokey1971 Avatar
smokey1971 Les Boardman
St. Petersburg, FL, USA   USA
If you are not reaming by hand, make sure you run the reamer at the lowest speed you can unless you are working with a drill press or mill. A little light oil will help too.

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Victor,
Are you rebuilding H2s or HS2s? In my experience the HS2s only wear the shaft, not the carb and I’ve never had to ream one. I just built a set yesterday and the shafts were severely worn, but the new shafts fit very snug with no sloppiness. They do make .010 oversized shafts that require reaming and I have the SU reaming tool, but I’ve never had to use it.
Rut

Thanks Rut they are hs 2s so I will check that out. I haven’t taken them apart yet, just assumed I’d have to rebush them.

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Victor,
When you pull the throttle shafts you can tell how much wear there is once the unworn part of the shaft slides into the carb body.
Rut

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links