Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Debs60BugEye Avatar
Debs60BugEye Keith Smith
Salina, KS, USA   USA
So, 60mph on the interstate and the new generator fails. It also required a new voltage regulator. Plus, I had tried the replacement and it did not charge so I took it to a local generator shop and it cost $ to get them to “fix” it. Now I am stuck with a pricey fail.
Can anyone please list the items I would need to make the switch to negative ground/alternator?
I can only think of these:
1. Fuel sending unit
2. Negative ground Pertronix
3. The alternator itself (make &Model?). Steve (below) used a Ford Fiesta model. Two fiends I have both said a GM Delco model of some sort?
And the big issue,
4. What do I do for a tachometer? I happen to like that old one. I am no electrician so I would not attempt the conversion shown from 2009 by Steve Maas.

Any other tips would be helpful.
Thanks,
Keith

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
In the UK a "dynamotor" alternator conversion is available with
the tacho drive unit. It looks like the Lucas C39 as used on BE.
There is a "dummy" RB 106/2 voltage regulator available.

NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
Sadly, the generators and regulators that are available for these cars are pretty much junk. MOSS pretty much tells you in their literature that the regulator is not going to work out of the box and it is up to you to fettle the thing.

If it is a car that you drive, I would suggest converting to an alternator and an electronic tachometer.

Pete

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Desert Rat Avatar
Desert Rat Chris S.
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Hey Keith, when you say fuel sending unit do you mean fuel pump?
For all the alternator conversion check Bugeye Guy, he sells a complete kit with alternator, brackets, pulley, belt and a Bugeye tach converted with electronic guts. He has a couple of variations depending on if you have a high beam indicator in your tach or ignition. There is a $200.00 core charge built into the price that is refunded when you mail in your old tach for them to convert.
Could be a good way to go.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 04:36 PM by Desert Rat.

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, CO, USA   USA
Try this as a reference, it doesn't go into alternator conversion, but it should help you address any other possible issues. I've heard that you cna wire a GM one wire alternator in, but haven't the faintest idea how to direct you to do so.
HTH,

'58 Bugeye
'66 'Stang

Attachments:
Positive to Negative Ground Conversion.pdf    40.3 KB

jimandcassdavis Jim Davis
Swanton, OH, USA   USA
Many vendors are now selling an alternator in the same case as your existing generator with a tach drive built in. If you want a modern style unit you will need to convert to negative ground.
If the pump is mechanical you only need to reverse the wires. Electronic you will need to change it. The fuel Gage will need wires reversed. The GM Saturn alternator is a popular choice. You will need to bypass or remove the voltage regulator or install the dummy unit
Do a web search and you will find instructions for the conversion.

jimandcassdavis Jim Davis
Swanton, OH, USA   USA
If your tach is the current sensing type you need to reverse the white wire loop. You can also install new guts with the Spyda Designs kit. The Spyda kit is pulse and works with electronic ignition.

Debs60BugEye Avatar
Debs60BugEye Keith Smith
Salina, KS, USA   USA
Thanks. I will check it out.

Debs60BugEye Avatar
Debs60BugEye Keith Smith
Salina, KS, USA   USA
Yep. With failed parts from Moss and VB.

Debs60BugEye Avatar
Debs60BugEye Keith Smith
Salina, KS, USA   USA
I understood the sending unit in the tank is for positive ground only?? I do have a Facet fuel pump. On it I can just switch the wires.

Debs60BugEye Avatar
Debs60BugEye Keith Smith
Salina, KS, USA   USA
Thanks. I will read through this later. I got home form town and there are 13 posts! Thanks to all responders!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 08:25 PM by Debs60BugEye.

Debs60BugEye Avatar
Debs60BugEye Keith Smith
Salina, KS, USA   USA
Thanks!

Debs60BugEye Avatar
Debs60BugEye Keith Smith
Salina, KS, USA   USA
Current is a mechanical tach.

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
British Parts Northwest sells an alternator in a generator case that is available with a tach drive as well. Not cheap but fits all of the same mounting brackets as the generator. Sendi g unit on gas gauge does not care. Same for fan motor does nor card oositive ois rvnegative ground. I opted for Speedhut GPS gauges was custom Austin apHeakey Script on gauge face fi r speedo and Matching tach for Bugsy my BE another way to do it.

Debs60BugEye Avatar
Debs60BugEye Keith Smith
Salina, KS, USA   USA
Jim,
Are you saying I would only have to swap the wires on the fuel gauge? Not having to drop the tank again would make this conversion even more attractive.
Keith

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links