clutch slave fitting thread

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Healeybob Bob Bishop
littleton, CO, USA   USA
I have run a new tubing to the clutch slave. It has a male flared fitting on the end. The thread in the slave is larger and looks straight. Anybody know what thread this is? Also how to adapt from one to the other?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
If you fit a replacement beware. There are some poor quality ones about.
You can still buy orginal equipment AP Auto motive products part No 110469P
BMC part No: GSY110. If you buy a new AP part the hydraulic line will have
a cap -usually blue- with thread 3/8 UN F marked on it. They are usually supplied
with the bleed nipple which is also 3/8 UNF

PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
A 948cc or 1098cc slave cylinder 7/8" bore has a 3/8-24 hole that takes the single flare solid 3/16" pipe. The 1275cc 1" slave has a 7/16-18 hole. That 1275cc slave takes a rubber flex hose and a copper sealing ring. A 1/4" line from the master. It's best to use the 1275 slave with a 1275 clutch and engine. If you have that engine and slave, then you can order the larger 1/4" pipe and its hose from vendors, specifying the year of your car as 67 - 74 or you can make an adapter up at the slave.
Peter C

In reply to # 198888 by Healeybob I have run a new tubing to the clutch slave. It has a male flared fitting on the end. The thread in the slave is larger and looks straight. Anybody know what thread this is? Also how to adapt from one to the other?

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (800)362-1025 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Cumberland, RI, USA   USA
I’m going to be doing the same thing Peter. Could you provide more information on making an adapter at the sleeve? Thanks.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
PeterC Avatar
In reply to # 198949 by rhodyspit75 I’m going to be doing the same thing Peter. Could you provide more information on making an adapter at the sleeve? Thanks.

I'm not clear what you are asking. I don't know whether the OP has the correct slave cylinder. What are you going to be doing? You need to look at the master cylinder bores also and then that trickles down to what brakes are you going to be running?

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (800)362-1025 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Sorry Peter I was kind of vague. I have a Bugeye with the master cylinder resleeved by Gerard to 3/4 inch. I have disc brakes so that part is all set. I have a ribcase transmission and am planning on using the slave for a 1275. I’m interested in what you said about adapting the hard line from the Bugeye to the slave cylinder that would normally use a flex line.

Or in your opinion would it be better to just replace the hard line with the later line and flex hose. If so would that fitting be the same as the fitting on the master? Thanks Ernie

PeterC Avatar
OK Got it. When BMC went to the 3/4" master, and the 1" slave, and the 1275 diaphragm pressure plate, they also increased the diameter of the pipe from the master to the slave. If you think that was intentional engineering, and not mere happenstance, then you should use the 1/4" pipe and flex hose.

So, at the master that you have you need a 3/8-24 bubble flare and at the flex hose female is 7/16-18 standard flare. Somewhere there needs to be an adapter. To mimic the original design, the adapter should be at the master so you have the 1/4" line the whole way. Here is an adapter https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=4179 Then make the 1/4" line to the flex hose. Now, you also need to make a bulkhead bracket to support the flex hose. Take a look at a 68-74 Spridget

Hope that helps.... I gotta run.
Peter

Member Services:
westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
Sorry I assumed you were using an original BE brake set up. The original BE
slave cylinders were used on a lot of BMC cars of the time. When they moved to
Discs they changed the bore from 7/8th to 3/.4. The 3./4 stuff was harder to get.
Then they upgraded to 1275cc and changed again. The drum brakes will work
with a 3/4 master cylinder but the discs will not work with the 7/8th

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Thank you Peter for taking the time to explain how to make this work. I think this is answering the OP’s question also. There is only one thing I’m not sure of. The link you gave me is for a male to male adapter. I think I would need a male to female at the master. Is this the right one? https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=24921

Thanks again. Ernie

PeterC Avatar
Ernie, That's one way to do it. I've seen female-female adapters used along the pipes also. The original adapter as used on 67-74 clutch masters are a straight thread requiring a copper gasket.
Peter

In reply to # 198976 by rhodyspit75 Thank you Peter for taking the time to explain how to make this work. I think this is answering the OP’s question also. There is only one thing I’m not sure of. The link you gave me is for a male to male adapter. I think I would need a male to female at the master. Is this the right one? https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=24921

Thanks again. Ernie

Member Services:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1958 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links