AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

V8B Avatar
V8B Michael Solomons
Perth, Western Australia, Australia   AUS
Hi All,
I am a new member to the AH forum from Perth Western Australia looking for some help.
I am in the process of stripping a newly acquired Bugeye for a full n&b restoration and wondering if anyone out there can assist with an issue I have with the rear Aluminium cockpit trim.
The rear trim is made from Aluminium channel and was fixed at the top rather than an angled lip which is what I would expect, this lip is not there and the edge is a straight edge which does not look like its been cut by hand in any way, has anyone seen this before?
I am guessing I will need to form a new lip somehow and weld it in place to be able to fit a new piece of trim, any ideas welcome.

Cheers
Mike

1960 Bugeye Sprite
1978 MGB V8 Conversion

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
2018-02-18 19.24.39.jpg    33.2 KB
2018-02-18 19.24.39.jpg

2018-02-18 19.24.24.jpg    30.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
2018-02-18 19.24.32.jpg    32 KB
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Hello Michael,

Welcome to the forum. It appears that a previous owner has cut away some of the rear deck of your car to enlarge the cockpit. You are missing several inches of rear deck and the formed lip where the original trim was fastened.

Attachments:
IMG_3198.jpeg    26.3 KB
IMG_3198.jpeg

V8B Avatar
V8B Michael Solomons
Hi Rick
Many thanks for your response I can see clearly now whats missing against your picture.
I now have a dilemma, do I fabricate a new piece to gain originality or do I leave this part of its history as it is!

Cheers
Mike

1960 Bugeye Sprite
1978 MGB V8 Conversion

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
lewmac Avatar
lewmac Silver Member Lew McAllan
Hawthorn Woods, Chicago, IL, USA   USA
1958 Austin-Healey 100-Six "Biggy - SOLD To Switzerland"
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Buggy"
1968 Austin-Healey Sprite "Bluey"
1969 MG MGC "Greeny"
Hi Michael,

Fellow Aussie here living in Chicago. That is certainly a difficult repair ahead, as it looks like the modification also takes out some of the side guard and the bead strip between the panels. Is that correct ? Can you post a picture of that area ? I can try to locate a donor car here and obtain the missing section, but it won't be easy. (Actually it might be, see below !)

There are some Bugeyes with a Mk2 rear cockpit modification like the attached photo, but there would still need to be some fabrication. If you could find a Mk2 rear deck, something like this would be possible, but Mk2's are probably more rare than Bugeyes, at least they seem to be here in the US.

Cheers
Lew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-18 11:45 PM by lewmac.

Attachments:
Rear deck cut out.JPG    51.2 KB
Rear deck cut out.JPG

lewmac Avatar
1969 MG MGC "Greeny"
One other option, may be a Sebring Coupe hardtop, although expensive to get to Australia. One option when fitting the Sebring Coupe hardtop is to cut back the rear deck to open up the trunk area, similar to what you have. The Coupe hardtop mounts permanently over the edge of the body and may just cover your opening. The attached photos show a Bugeye project that I have that gives approximate measurements for the Coupe top. I was actually measuring up for a Sebring project I have on the go, but it will now get a modified fiberglass Bugeye rear end - modified to clear my roll bar and accept a Mk2 cockpit trim piece. I had planned to use a standard Bugeye rear cockpit aluminium trim piece with two extension pieces, but now have found a Mk2 rear trim piece and will use that instead.

If this is an option, you can easily find teh cockpit trim pieces here and you can have the two 8" extensions I have, as I won't be using them now.

See http://www.sebringsprite.com/replicagallery.html for pics of the coupes.

Now posted below, additional pics from another Healey & Sprite guy here in Chicago that is installing a Coupe top that has pics of the cutout he has made - unfortunately he will be re-using the cut out panel...... but now that I think about it, he does have another rust bucket bugeye with the donor panel you need and may be willing to sell the section you need. I am seeing him this coming weekend and if he is willing, I could cut that piece out. Can you send additional pics with measurements to show how much has been cut away ?

Cheers
Lew

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-18 11:49 PM by lewmac.

Attachments:
Bugeye edge alignment, back 4 inches along seam line.jpg    19.2 KB
Bugeye edge alignment, back 4 inches along seam line.jpg

Bugeye rear cockpit trim edge alignment.jpg    21.8 KB
lewmac Avatar
1969 MG MGC "Greeny"
Found the pics of a Mate's car with the cutout and the Coupe top positioned. Black line shows the line of the Coupe top. Can take extra pics on the weekend if this is an option for you ?

Cheers
Lew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-18 11:50 PM by lewmac.

Attachments:
DSCN6065.JPG    16.8 KB
DSCN6065.JPG

DSCN6069.JPG    29.6 KB
DSCN6074.JPG    16.2 KB
pixelsmithusa Avatar
What you are also missing as a result of that section being removed is an "L"-shaped stiffener that is welded slight rearward if the original flange and spans from fender to fender.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Attachments:
IMAG1761.jpg    30.3 KB
IMAG1761.jpg

IMAG1762.jpg    30.7 KB
lewmac Avatar
1969 MG MGC "Greeny"
Hi Gerard,

Yes of course you are correct and the deck as shown in Mike's original pics looks to have a bit of sag in it as well that reflects this missing strengthener. If Mike is interested and I can secure the section from the rusty car I know off, it would include this piece as well, in fact maybe all the way back to the roof mounting holes to provide an accurate point of reference.

He should also try Colin and see what he has available !

Best Regards
Lew

V8B Avatar
V8B Michael Solomons
Hi all,
Wow thanks for the responses, very much appreciated, plenty to think about....

I am really not sure which way to go with this, the car is for my wife so ultimately it will be her decision, to be honest I quite like the idea of more space behind the seats and easier access to the boot area.
The edge does sag as there is nothing to support it once the aluminium channel piece is removed, this will definitely need a strengthening piece similar to the one in Gerard's post if I leave the cut out as is.

Thanks for the PM Lew, I have spoken to Colin in the past about the engine so will give him a call if we decide to replace it and see what he has, and if nothing will be in contact to see what you can find.

This little car keeps giving and giving with its chequered history, it turns out the engine is a 1098 and we thought it was originally Cherry Red, after removing the steering rack last night it looks like it started life as Leaf Green.

Cheers
Mike

1960 Bugeye Sprite
1978 MGB V8 Conversion

lewmac Avatar
1969 MG MGC "Greeny"
Mike,
Here is the only shot I have of the donor car should you want the section. It shows left hand side but right hand is much the same. The upper sections are solid.
Cheers
Lew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-20 12:29 AM by lewmac.

Attachments:
Bugeye donor.JPG    49.9 KB
Bugeye donor.JPG

gossie Avatar
gossie Howard Gostelow
Queensland, Gold Coast, Australia   AUS
Leaf Green. Very rare in Australia I must say.
Perhaps private import from UK or elsewhere long a ago.
Also re. Cherry Red. My Bugeye purchased in the '90s was painted bright red when I got, but inside the boot/trunk was dark Cherry Red without doubt. I have a very good eye for colour and well remember very early Bugeye's coming into Australia fully built before we assembled them in Sudney.
I stripped the the car to bare metal and re-painted it Cherry Red.......Looked fantastic, but only a couple of years ago I found out Australian delivered Bugeye's as this one was via the numbers and plate on it were NEVER Cherry Red....Go figure?
Also Leaf Green was never an Australian colour either from memory......But Leaf Green to my way of thinking does look nice.
Good luck with your re-build.

V8B Avatar
V8B Michael Solomons
Hi Howard,
Our thoughts are the car was an import probably late 70's going by the registration plate and going by the VIN which is not representative of a kit assembled here ,the car probably had a restoration and colour change in the UK as it has had some serious welding of parts around the floors and previous replacement of the sills and some repair panels in other areas, typical areas for tin worm in UK cars, my 78 MGB roadster was bought in the UK in 97 and was truly rotten requiring a lot of metalwork and replacement panels similar to the previous work on this one.
Another giveaway is that the underside also coated with copious amounts of black underseal which was typical for UK cars, although being a pain to get off it has protected the rest of the car fairly well.
The car is currently on the rotisserie stripped of all parts and waiting to go for media blasting so we are looking forward to cutting out the rot and getting started on repairing the bodyshell.
The other thing is we have decided to leave the cockpit as it is and strengthen it, it seems to be similar to the mk2 cockpit and does afford better boot access.

Cheers
Mike

1960 Bugeye Sprite
1978 MGB V8 Conversion

gossie Avatar
gossie Howard Gostelow
Queensland, Gold Coast, Australia   AUS
FWIW Michael I had a MK2. Bought it new in August 1962. Was Nurberg white. One of the very first assembled here in Australia. Kept it for three years and traded it on a Mini De Luxe.
Funny thing, what stopped me buying a Bugeye before the MK2 was lack of room behind the seats.
I had had an MG TC earlier on and I could get a couple of people into that behind the seats. You could in fact carry four people with ease. Imagine doing that today.
Restored another TC in 1984 but it only ever carried two people.

Ben M Avatar
Lewmac -- Chevy Vega wheels?

lewmac Avatar
1969 MG MGC "Greeny"
Ah, on the donor car. Yes they look like the attached. Not sure how many there are.

We postponed the attack on the body shell as Michael decided to stay with the cut away body he had on the Bugeye.

Cheers
Lew

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-01 08:04 PM by lewmac.

Attachments:
Chevy Vega wheels.jpg    36.6 KB
Chevy Vega wheels.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links