need a dual master cylinder for 66 sprite

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

patslattery PATRICK SLATTERY
Harrison, OH, USA   USA
Moss does not have any and not sure when they will get any Anyone know of another source?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tom Johnson Tom J
Monroeville, USA   USA
Patrick,

Do you have the disc brakes in the front or drum?

Tom

pixelsmithusa Avatar
Patrick,

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with me, though I am a long time member here and well known on this and many other British car forums. I was the first person to make these master cylinders available back in 2006. 3/4" bore master cylinders were unavailable for several decades and only the 7/8" master cylinder was available as a replacement, which is inappropriate for a disc brake car. As a result, many disc brake cars today have the incorrect 7/8" master cylinder, because that was all that was available. A few years after I began doing this, I believe through my efforts, reproduction master cylinders became available, but they are not as good as the original equipment Lockheed ones I have to offer. I have actually sleeved many of these reproduction units that were anywhere from 6 months to two years old. I can restore original 3/4" and also convert 7/8" master cylinders to 3/4". Either unit is brass sleeved, something which gives much better service life by eliminating corrosion and reducing wear on the rubber components. In the case of converting a 7/8" to 3/4", I supply new CNC, anodized pistons. The end result is better than the original and will outlast any other option by tenfold. I still have units in service over 10 years now.

If this interests you as an option, please contact me offlist by sending an email to the address found on my member page. Click on my username in this message to get there. I will provide all the details for you. I'm attaching a few photos of the finished product. I also am the only US source for correct pushrods for the 3/4" master cylinder, which are needed to function correctly. They are returned ready to install, in either a bare finish or painted in baked-on brake fluid resistant paint in your choice of 3 colors. The last two pictures are before and after (black master cylinder in last pic is the same one as the before)

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-06 04:08 PM by pixelsmithusa.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMAG0809.jpg    18.5 KB
IMAG0809.jpg

WP_002674.jpeg    21 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_1424.JPG    49.9 KB
IMAG1802.jpg    24.2 KB
Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA

These are really good MCs and last. I’ve also used dual Tilton setups that work fantastic, but don’t look original.
Rut

Attachments:
4BA9298B-8840-42D6-84DB-19A51B52E698.jpeg    54.5 KB
4BA9298B-8840-42D6-84DB-19A51B52E698.jpeg

B8125E92-917B-46D3-B1EE-0F44AB4D060F.jpeg    53.9 KB
westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
Any thoughts on silicon brake fluid? I have it in my BE. I know the US military used it.
But I heard conflicting stories re military use-longer harder brake travel.

pixelsmithusa Avatar
This is a "can-o-worms"... people will staunchly claim "their way" is best, but it's a fact that silicone is not as good a lubricant as Glycol. The other thing that people falsely believe is that you eliminate moisture problems since silicone does not absorb water. That is correct in a sense, but not really an accurate presentation of the end result. Silicone fluid does not absorb water, it's hydrophobic. However, the consequences of that are that moisture separates out and pools in any low spots, i.e. bottom of wheel cylinders, calipers reservoirs and piston bores. If silicone fluid isn't flushed out regularly, those areas will rust. I have removed and replaced master cylinders used with silicone that had holes rusted in them. This is especially true of any of the old "tin can" style reservoirs. In addition, changing from Glycol to silicone requires the entire system either be completely new components or otherwise needs to be thoroughly purged with alcohol. Silicone should not be used if natural rubber seals are present.

Lastly, every new master cylinder I've ever purchased has a large disclaimer on the box that silicone fluid should not be used and the warranty is void if done so.

Now watch how many "testify" to just the opposite.

In reply to # 199628 by westburn70 Any thoughts on silicon brake fluid? I have it in my BE. I know the US military used it.
But I heard conflicting stories re military use-longer harder brake travel.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
I was aware of rubber compatibility issues with silicon brake fluid.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
I'm aware of rubber compatibility with Dot 3!eye rolling smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1963 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links