Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

spritecrazy Avatar
spritecrazy Alan Mcgrevy
Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA   USA
Hi , im stumped , got a new wire loom for the headlamps on my 68 sprite. Old wires the previous owner just cut off short, but left some bullet connectors on them. Made in Taiwan unfortunately. Color code is nothing like original. got most of it figured out but the 3 pin/spade connector plug in the new loom has a white wire , brown wire and a blue wire to the three terminals. It says on the label connect to existing loom. Problem is existing loom does not have a 3 pin female plug. There are 3 sets of twin wires to separate double bullet connectors. One has two blue and red stripe wires , second has two green and red wires and third twin socket wires are black. has anyone had this problem. Took a couple of pictures see attachments. Any advise or a drawing would be greatly welcome. The drawing they give doesn't show colors or wire positions. Thanks . All other wires to headlights and relays are fine .

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSCF3953.JPG    44.8 KB
DSCF3953.JPG

DSCF3961.JPG    26 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
The Blue/Red and the Blue /White are your + High/Low Beams the third wire is your ground. Before you connect it put a VOM on it to see if you have continuity to ground. The way it is set up, at least on my '68. Bring the three wires to the headlamp on the right side and then use a double bullet connector to jump over to the Drivers Side. These is a separate Front Harness on a '68. That may be what you are missing or you can get from British Wiring. , While you are at it, add two relays into the mix. You will all of a sudden have real headlights that you can actually use to safely drive at night.

Normally you will see the Blue/White and the Blue/ Red wires along with a Common Ground for both Headlights, Turn Signals, and Parking Lights also exit the harness at that point to go to the front right by the pedal Box Cover panel on the Passengers Side. I simply mounted a Relay Socket with wiring pigtails attached to the cover panel. You need 1 relay for Low Beams and 1 Relay for High Beams. I used 2 14 ga wire with an inline 30 Amp Fuse in place to connect to the hot Terminal on the Solenoid when the Positive Battery Terminal Attaches.

In operation, the Relays send 12VDC direct to the High or Low Beam bypassing that 50+ y.o. set of contacts on the High / Low Beam switch. When you select High Beams, the High/Low Beam switch triggers the relay rather than needing to carry the Headlight Current Load through that old switch. Switch to Low Beams and the Relay Powering the High Beam turns off, And the Relay powering the Low beams gets turned on.

Google Headlight Relays and you will find a number of articles that describe how simple this is to do. IIRC Moss started selling a Headlight Relay Kit as well. The Correct Color Coded Wiring is available from British Wiring by the Meter. You'll need a Soldering Iron, Electrical Solder, Some Heat Shrink Tape, Crimp on Ring Terminal to connect to the solenoid,2 inline fuse holders, and correct color coded Wire. British Wiring will have all of the Connectors, Bullet Ends, Double, Triple, or Quad and even bigger double end connectors. With a VOM or even just a 12 VDC Test Light you can check to see which wires are energized when you turn on your headlamps. Again find the Blue/White and Blue/Red Wires coming out of the harness and you will almost be home free.

spritecrazy Avatar
spritecrazy Alan Mcgrevy
Hello Jim, Thanks for your quick and great response. My problem is that i did get from Moss or Victoria a new complete headlamp kit which came with a hi grade headlamp wire kit with two relays. I figured most of it out but issue is wire colors on new headlight loom are different to the existing ones on my sprite. See pictures attached. As you have said the wires existing are blue/white. blue/red and a black double wire. The new wire loom plug thats supposed to just plug in has three terminals which will slot into those existing wires but the colors are a blue/white, a brown and a white wire. Dont know which goes where. All other connections on new loom to headlights ground, relays and battery are pretty clear although different colors also. was hoping someone would have had same issue and may help.
Appreciate your response and time . Thanks
Alan
Spritecrazy.
Theresa a picture of Basil with 2012 Miata seats and roll bars , looks great took some metalwork and sweat to get them to fit but pleased with results glad i have a machine shop. Just wiring now and i can start her up.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSCF3963.JPG    26.8 KB
DSCF3963.JPG

DSCF3964.JPG    36.5 KB
DSCF3962.JPG    17 KB
DSCF3957.JPG    39.9 KB
rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Cumberland, RI, USA   USA
I believe that male plug you show is designed to simply plug into one of the original headlight plugs. That will give you power to the relay coils. In other words you keep one of your old headlight sockets connected and plug those two together. That is the only part of the existing wiring you need.

spritecrazy Avatar
spritecrazy Alan Mcgrevy
Thanks for your reply. It says in instructions connect that male plug in the picture attatched to existing female wiring which is possible. The new loom has two other female sockets one for each headlamp, Two wires to ground at the headlights. It also has two plug connectors one for each relay then there is the plug male that it says connects to existing wire loom. Blue/white and a brown and a white wire. I know they plug into the red / blue and blue white and also the black existing wire , just doesn't say in instructions which color goes to which . All head light areas and relays and two red wires to battery are hooked up ok. Its just this damn plug im confused about. Maybe ill call moss and see if they can help.
Thanks anyway lots of help on this site.
Alan

Attachments:
DSCF3963.JPG    26.8 KB
DSCF3963.JPG

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
If it came from Moss call their tech support. I just built it myself from info I found on Line by Googling headlight relays.

spritecrazy Avatar
spritecrazy Alan Mcgrevy
Just checked invoice it came from victoria british part # 10-679 comes as a kit with headlamps . Try calling them tomorrow. Dont think their tech is a good as moss though.
Thanks
Alan

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Simply plug one of your old headlight sockets into that male plug then plug the other end of the old socket wiring back into the old harness bullet connectors matching the colors. The two pieces you show in your picture need to have one of your old bulb harnesses between them.

The plugs only go one way so you don’t have to worry about colors.

spritecrazy Avatar
spritecrazy Alan Mcgrevy
Thanks Ernie i will try that. Shame the parts they get from Tiawan ROC are not checked and issues like this clarified by Victoria British, others must have had the same issue.
instructions just says " locate line 3 prong male connector on heavy duty wiring harness, plug connector into original vehicle wiring harness" no mention of color code , all other instructions on back of package are pretty clear and idiot proof. Guess they missed this most important one.
Alan

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
It is plugged into the original harness. It is the original harness that the bulb plugged into. No need to be concerned about colors.

spritecrazy Avatar
spritecrazy Alan Mcgrevy
Think i got it now using old headlamp socket and wires then match existing and align new wire colors. Thanks to all who helped appreciate it. great site. must join and get a membership soon.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links