engine parts color

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mdude58 Mike D
Nutley, NJ, USA   USA
I'm going to be painting my engine in the factory green color scheme. From Horler's book it looks like the starter, water pump, and generator are green as well. What about the intake manifold and heat shield? Green too?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
Personal preference I like to see Generator as well as starter Black. A little contracts looks nicer. IMHO unless you are going for a Concours Car. Remember YMMV..

westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
Heat Shield green. The manifold I spray in a high temperature silver.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mdude58 Mike D
Nutley, NJ, USA   USA
Found some pix of an original car...everything is green except the carbs. Fan I believe to be yellow.

westburn70 Eric Flack
Originally everything green. Fan blades yellow. But lots of dynamos are/were
replaced and the replacement Lucas items are black. Same with starter motors.
I think it fairly rare nowadays to have "original" dynamos and starter motors.
In the UK these starter motors were on a lot of cars and motor shops carried
loads of spares/ new and reconditioned.

mdude58 Mike D
Nutley, NJ, USA   USA
Thought I'd put these here for posterity

Attachments:
s-l16006.jpg    62.2 KB
s-l16006.jpg

s-l16005.jpg    58.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
s-l16001.jpg    61.9 KB
westburn70 Eric Flack
Brass topped carbs and gearbox exhaust bracket. These tend to "go". That is not a heater.
A early BMC attempt at air con! We badly need the heater in Scotland!

BMac Avatar
BMac Brendan MacRae
Grass Valley, CA, USA   USA
I did mine in the later Healey looking green which isn't correct for my car (mine would've originally been the MOWOG green) but I like it better since it reminds me of the big Healeys.

Everything was painted including the heat shield except I left the aluminum manifold unpainted. Generators were usually painted engine color. I have the original metal fan in yellow but I'm going to swap it to a yellow plastic one.

Attachments:
engine.jpg    27.7 KB
engine.jpg

earthur44 Eric Miller
Redmond-Bend, OR, USA   USA
The old paint was a hard one to match as they didn't really care... it was the engine after all... and after a few miles with all the leaks, the oil covered it along with the dirt... AND on top of that they bought huge drums of it... each one sort of matched the other but oh well.... so you have choices these days if you have a good sample from a removed part that you haven't already pickled then take to a good paint store and have it laser spectrum analyzed and mixed... whatever you come up with will be a honest authentic match.. cheers Oh, also, I wouldn't shoot the water pump. leave it alum so it can expel heat more readily..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-20 11:54 PM by earthur44.

westburn70 Eric Flack
In the UK the Morris Minor parts suppliers have BMC engine green "on the shelf". Morris Minors are a major UK "cottage industry" with loads of bits common to the BE!

66Sprite Avatar
66Sprite David R
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
Now you can't believe everything you read on the web, otherwise I'd be a well hung millionaire married to a Russian beauty queen and own half of Nigeria, but I did come across the info below.

Quoted from: http://mk1-performance-conversions.co.uk/technical_engine_colour.htm

"After much debate and discussion over the last few weeks. I have carried out a number of back to back tests of various different paint shades that have at one time or another been suggested as "The original" BMC engine green. I can now confirm with 100% certainty that the most commonly used colour on BMC engines was British Standard Middle Bronze Green (BS 223). Some engines were painted in a darker green that I strongly believe to be Dark Bronze Green."

Maybe it helps? Cheers David.

Attachments:
BMC-engine.jpg    2.7 KB
BMC-engine.jpg

BS-381C.jpg    28.5 KB
earthur44 Eric Miller
Redmond-Bend, OR, USA   USA
For this thread.... the "common thread or theme that we can take to the bank is "the works" group that was charged with pushing this project to reality had to put a small sporty inexpensive two seater together out of the spare parts bin...cheap had its place.. Soooo.. engine paint was from overstocked something from somewhere...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links