rear end ratio

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bigjohn892 Charles J
Hixson, TN, USA   USA
I have a 60 Bugeye with a 1275 that I bought and would like to know iof there is an easy way to determine the rear end ratio without removing the differential?
I plan on auto crossing and may want to change gearing.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Cumberland, RI, USA   USA
bigjohn892 Charles J
Hixson, TN, USA   USA
Thanks Ernie. That's exactly what I was looking for.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BMac Avatar
BMac Brendan MacRae
Grass Valley, CA, USA   USA
Understand, however, that the late housing without the fill plug on the side can be fit with any ring and pinion. So, while it may say that it's a 4.22 (38/9), or what-have-you, it may have been rebuilt with a different set. We see core diffs all the time that come in with the factory marking of a 4.22 but are in fact 3.9's or 3.7's or something else entirely.

The only positive way to know is to remove the pumpkin and check the ring gear which should have the ratio on it.

Ben M Avatar
Early cars such as your Bugeye came with a 4.22, which would be the best for an autocross. When someone installed the 1275 they may have changed the pumpkin to a 3.90; you'll have to crawl underneath, clean off the upper side of that flange, and check the numbers with a mirror.

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, CO, USA   USA
Charles- I have a couple of differentials sitting around that I bought when I was going to AutoX my MKII, I know that I have a new 5:36 R&P, and I think I've got a 4.55 or 4.88 welded that I'd be willing to part with if you're interested.

'58 Bugeye
'66 'Stang

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links