Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mgbgt Tomas Lof
Åmål, Dalsland, Sweden   SWE
Hi All,

I have replaced the complete wiring loom in my Sprite mk2. I managed to start it last weekend everything was "hunky dory", engine fired and was running, lights were working. Today when I started it there was smoke from behind the dash!!! Pulled the battery and started to look for reasons for this. However no obvious reasons...please give me some ideas where to look. I am frustrated.

Cheers
Tomas
Sweden

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
Possible bad earth causing overheating. Check the ignition switch.

mgbgt Tomas Lof
In reply to # 200920 by westburn70 Possible bad earth causing overheating. Check the ignition switch.

Thanks for the reply! Have I missed something?? The ignition switch is not grounded.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pixelsmithusa Avatar
Things to check.

• Ground strap from frame leg under the car to rear engine plate/gearbox bell housing. No ground strap means the system will seek ground through pull starter cable or choke.
• Short within voltage regulator.
• Wires to the ignition switch and lighting switch are unfused and live at all times. Their close proximity to dash and other hardware behind the dash are a good source for potential shorts; make sure terminals are well isolated with no possibility of something loose or close by making contact.

• You've possibly wired something to an incorrect terminal.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

earthur44 Eric Miller
Redmond-Bend, OR, USA   USA
Honestly, its like no fuse system on these Lucas electrical crap.. I managed to push some items in the trunk area and pulled the taillight wire out and before I shutter down fried all the way up to the dash...

mgbgt Tomas Lof
Thanks for all input! I spent last week selling my Fiat Barchetta instead...

westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
Ah the Fix It Again Tony (FIAT) cars! Rust was a terrible problem in the UK with Italian cars.
Lancia withdrew from the UK market as three year old cars had rusted out!

mgbgt Tomas Lof
The Barchetta is a lovely car! However I have another Sprite coming up :-) To be continued....

BigGeorge67 BIG GEORGE
TUCSON, AZ, USA   USA
About 10 years ago... I came up with this T-Shirt art to offer to owners at British car shows. They all went quickly.

Thought you all needed a chuckle considering the topic.

BG

Attachments:
20180502_065956_resized.jpg    43.7 KB
20180502_065956_resized.jpg

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Connect a in line fuse holder to your battery terminal with a hose clamp to fuse the whole system when you are sorting wiring. Other end clamped under that battery clamp bolt. BMC factory personnel knew how to wire Brit cars!winking smiley

Kurt.

pixelsmithusa Avatar
I think if you want to fuse the entire system, what you want is a "fusible link". It comes as either a single specialized wire or as a device. These are typically used on modern cars with alternators. Also recommended when converting a car from a generator to alternator.

Fusible Link

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-05 07:03 PM by pixelsmithusa.

mgbgt Tomas Lof
I have not had so much time to work on the car but found out that there is problems in the lighting circuit. I pulled the cable from the lighting switch, the short circuit was gone and the car started. However i don't where the problem is.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Disconnect sections of it till you find the problem. [Fuse the whole system first!]

Kurt

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1957 Austin Healey 100 Six

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links