Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Sherr20 Avatar
Sherr20 Gold Member Jerry S
Belton, TX, USA   USA
Where does the outer wheel well attach to the rear wing? I looked for spot weld on the inside lip (the metal bent 90* from the outer fender) and cannot see any. Are they where I put arrows all around the cirfumference?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_3570.JPG    36.5 KB
IMG_3570.JPG

westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
The pre rubber bumper outer rear inner rear wing fits the BE. It requires a bit of fettling
at each corner and if you fit the inner rear wing for the pre rubber bumper you have seat belt
mountings. The spot welds are on the lip.

Sherr20 Avatar
Belton, TX, USA   USA
Eric, Thanks. I used a wire wheel on about 4 inches of the wing wheel lip and did not see any spot welds. I will have to look closer.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
westburn70 Eric Flack
I used the pre rubber bumper outer inner wheel arch. But at each bottom corner cut of the
lip that does not fit. But left small gap so any water can get out. On BE's they tend to
rust at the bottom of each rear wing down in the corners.

Sherr20 Avatar
Belton, TX, USA   USA
Still looking for any signs of spot welds in the lip of the rear wing wheel well. Don't know if a past owner sanded the wheel well lip really well before paint erasing the marks. We will see.

dkbmotorsports Avatar
dkbmotorsports david boutelle
hamden, CT, USA   USA
when you go to remove the QTR panel skin or even just doing a patch area do a preliminary cut of the panel or area 1st.
then you go find and drill out your spot welds in a place were you can't find then you take a pair of pliers and bend the ( in your case) lip of the QTR skin inwards a little. doing so will show you were and if there is a spot weld as the weld will be the only piece still wanting to stay attached to the outer wheel house.

on the attached pic you see the cut line do a preliminary cut to remove most of the QTR or patch area there.

Attachments:
20180511_083303.jpg    12.5 KB
20180511_083303.jpg

Sherr20 Avatar
Belton, TX, USA   USA
Dave, thanks for the pointers. If I am going to re-use the quarters do you normally do the same way? I have a donor car that the quarters and center section boot are coming from. The quarters I am removing I'd still like to not mess them up as I would like them as worst case back ups.

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Jerry,
Search for Peter Ploofs posts on replacing the Bugeye boot floor since he has some great advice with lots of pictures. His screen name is NOHOME and his advice was invaluable when restoring my Bugeye.
Rut

dkbmotorsports Avatar
hamden, CT, USA   USA
to remove the QTR cleanly you would do the same type thing but on the wheel house and not the QTR panels. it's not easy to remove complete QTR's cleanly to reuse them.
the adjacent panel is the sacrifice panel in most cases.

Sherr20 Avatar
Belton, TX, USA   USA
Well, my plan is to use outer wing wheel arch repair pieces. Cut along the bottom of each wing like in your drawing as those are rusted anyway and need patching. I have a donor car that I can hopefully get the wings off without damaging further. Just going to take my time.

westburn70 Eric Flack
The outer wheel arch from the pre rubber bumper MG Midget fits the BE rear wing
and the originals seem to be made of 18 gauge. The inners are "thinner"! That's what
I did rather than weld patches on.

dkbmotorsports Avatar
hamden, CT, USA   USA
looking at the photo i'm thinking the outer wheel house is going to be rusted out also. trying to save the QTR and the outer wheel house from the donor car is going to be a bitch to do. i can see saving the donor QTR but not the wheel house/ wheel arch.
a new aftermarket wheel house/arch is not a low cost part.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1964 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links