Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Cumberland, RI, USA   USA
I just went to two auto suppliers looking for DOT 5. Both of them tried to give me DOT5.1. Luckily I had done some research earlier and found that they do not mix. Neither one knew that. They thanked me for the info.

Be careful.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pixelsmithusa Avatar
DOT 5 is silicone; DOT 5.1 is Glycol based with a higher boiling point. Definitely not compatible.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-14 12:24 PM by pixelsmithusa.

dkbmotorsports Avatar
dkbmotorsports david boutelle
hamden, CT, USA   USA
i personally do not like dot 5 it's design is for aircraft. if your lazy it's good because you do not have to flush out the fluid all to often but for me that's not a hard job to bleed brakes.
they designed DOT 5 to combat the problem of a aircraft coming down from a high altitudes and having very think brake fluid from being in the sub zero temps and not having time for the fluids temp come back to a working temp before you have to use your brakes to stop an aircraft.
what i do not like about it is being silicone based it has more compression then a glycol fluid has. your average person will not notice it as the peddle will still get hard when your pressing on the brake. it will just have a little more peddle travel before it does so.
with the DOT rating a 5.1 does not mean it' offers a higher boiling point then a DOT 4 though most do. some thing like Motul RBF 660 or 600 DOT4 has a higher boiling then Motul's 5.1.
because i race i use the Motul 600 in my race cars and the Motul 5.1 in my road cars. as they do offer a higher boiling point then the other DOT ratings even a DOT 5.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links