Aluminum cylinder heads from Nissan?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Hemidavey Dave Rudziensky
Grosse Isle, MI, USA   USA
I was reading -or maybe dreaming- somewhere that Nissan had bought rights to the Healey engines and were producing them with aluminum heads. Any thoughts?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
The Nissan engines are great. They make more power then the A-series engines and don't leak! But parts are not interchangeable.

If not a direct bolt on, maybe with some light mods??? Still dreaming...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Nissan licensed several engines from Austin and in the 60's some parts would interchange. Nissan then decided they could do better!eye rolling smiley

Kurt.

Thanks for update

westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
The Nissan heads were tried in the UK-they are not interchangeable ie direct bolt on.
But one or two UK tuning people did try marketing sort of bolt on "kits". I do not think
they were successful if ,memory serves me there were overheating problems etc.
In the UK there are and have been lots of tuning firms selling supposed go faster
stuff. Often to take hard earned cash for a product with dubious results. Via "slick"
advertising. We have the tin pellets in the petrol tank advertised in the UK.

I do a lot of prototype work so this sounded very interesting , initially. A crossflow head might be cool, looking at other sites I found some new parts that look good. Using two Webers would be a bit much on a,very small displacement engine.

pixelsmithusa Avatar
The A-series Datsun blocks are not the same as the A-series BMC blocks. The 1275cc block has it's legacy in the 803cc engine and eventually grew into the 948, then 1098 and lastly the "big bore" 1275. The nearly identical Datsun engine was the E-series, but it was virtually identical to the early BMC A-series, so there isn't any benefit of fitting any parts from the Datsun engine. The A-series Datsun engines began as 1200cc (A12) then later the A14 and A15. This is a 5 main block with an aluminum head that is closer in size to the BMC B-series engine which also started at 1200cc. There isn't any crossover between these two engines as far as fitment or interchangeability of parts.

There are aluminum crossflow heads made both in the US and also by some UK companies that will work "off the shelf".

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-15 07:30 PM by pixelsmithusa.

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
Or you can get really crazy to see some over in the UK adapting BMW Motorcycle Heads on to a A Series Engine. Not sure if Front Line was supporting the conversion but definitely some really trick stuff available out of the UK. Someone will have a link. $ $ $ it's all possible with enough $.

Gotta find that! Lol
Thanks

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
You don't need to go to the UK. It's been done by guys here. smiling smiley

https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?3,1898713

In reply to # 201617 by Hemidavey Gotta find that! Lol
Thanks

Guys, thanks for info, this stuff is really interesting. I love doing the mods, fabrication and machine work is my game, although welding on a block is dicey. I will read all of the thread when time allows. That head looks really tall, on my car I can't change the hood at all. Since we are adding motorcycle bits, Have you guys seen the Bugeye with Hyabusa power? Crazy...
There's a u tube video, sorry, not sure how to link.

pixelsmithusa Avatar
However, the specific kits to make it work come from the UK. I've never seen a US supplier of the twincam kits to make the head work with the block. You'll also need a build guide as it's not a simple bolt-on conversion; there is a lot of machine work and modification to be done. (as you'll see in the link) These are predominantly made for the Minis, so there's not a great deal of thought gone into the inline mount when fitting to a Sprite. TIt's no an issue in the Morris because there is so much bonnet clearance. The mount, if still available does have the engine sitting too high to clear the bonnet in a Spridget, and the only headers available are made for the Mini. You'll either need to fabricate your own from scratch or cut and modify the Mini version. That's just the "tip of the iceberg". As I've been wanting to build one of these for about a decade now, I'm working with someone on engineering the necessary changes for fitting to an in-line application.

In reply to # 201620 by refisk You don't need to go to the UK. It's been done by guys here. smiling smiley

https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?3,1898713

In reply to # 201617 by Hemidavey Gotta find that! Lol
Thanks

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Thanks for sharing info, too big of a job for now. Just got the car running, time to fix the little stuff

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links