Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

catspajaumas Michael Falconer
Gig Harbor, WA, USA   USA
G'day all,
Very basic question but I'm sure there is someone out in bugeye land who has an easy install procedure.
My car came with a fiberglass hood that I hate, so have obtained a metal one but need an easy one person install
procedure so I don't mess up the new paint on the hood.

Suggestions please!

Question 2
When I change gear there is a loud clonk on drivers side rear. U joints are ok, has wire wheels, the half shafts are straight and the splines are in good
shape. Causes?

Thanks Mike
1960 948cc Bugeye
Gig Harbor, WA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
The bonnet is a two "person" job. Watch the hinges. Use the correct short bolts to attach bonnet hinge.
Some bonnet hinges are rusting out. Check. There is adjustment with the bolts on the hinges when things
don't line up properly. If you have replaced the rubber strip across the top at the hinges. Beware. Some
rubber supplied is too thick and not as soft as the original. Bonnet "sits up". Found this out the hard way.

mxp01 Michael Pennell
Brentwood, TN, USA   USA
Two person? I could never do it without three people. I have two handle each side of the bonnet while I wriggle around underneath attaching the hinge bolts. Then I usually have them standby while doing any adjustments.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Ben M Avatar
Clunk when shifting is wear between the splines in the wheel and those on the hub. Make sure they're greased; if it still clunks, check the splines to see if it's time for new hubs and wheels.

Monk Gold Member Ed D
San Antonio, TX, USA   USA
It can be done with one person but the job requires a bit of imagination. I have done it several times with inexpensive rope / pulley sets attached to the roof of my garage. With these it is possible to get the hinges and bonnet at the correct angle then roll the car into position below. Not an easy or fast process but it is possible to do it.

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
In reply to # 202256 by Monk It can be done with one person but the job requires a bit of imagination. I have done it several times with inexpensive rope / pulley sets attached to the roof of my garage. With these it is possible to get the hinges and bonnet at the correct angle then roll the car into position below. Not an easy or fast process but it is possible to do it.

Same for me. Screw a stud into each side of the bonnet where it fits the hinges to help line things up, insert bolts and replace studs.
Rut

PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
Ipswich, Queensland, Australia   AUS
G'day Mike,
A series of slings and rods helped a friend achieve a one man bonnet fitting.
Regarding the clunk from the rear, check the bushes in the suspension trailing arms.
Cheers,
Alwyn
Ipswich Australia

catspajaumas Michael Falconer
Gig Harbor, WA, USA   USA
Thanks to all who replied. Looks like I will need at least one other person to help me.
Will check the splines.
Thanks

NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
I also replaced the bolts with studs.

Had to fit the bonnet by myself and it probably took 50 tries to get it to fit. I cheated by not having the engine in the car and going up from underneath! I got quite good at balancing the thing so that I could drop it over the front of the car.

Pete

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
Clunk is from worn radius arm bushings. Had the same issue on Bugsy IV on day one of driving Bugsy IV. I ended up ordering new as I was in a hurry to get Bugsy back on the road for some late Fall Driving. Radius Arm is bangng against the retaining bolt. If you order new save the old radius arm and when you have time replace rubber bushing. The rubber on these things only lasts a few years. Poly Radius arm bushes are available but pricey. Remember where the spacer insert goes. Important to keep axle centered.

59bug Bill Fenemore
Brantford, ON, Canada   CAN
Just did this with my wife. Remove hinges from firewall, mount on hood. Tape around hinge pockets and rear edge of hood. Install hood. It makes it easier to remove the speedo to get at the hinge pivot boltnot but is not mandatory.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links