AHExp

The Sprite Forum

What oil/fluid should I put in the front suspension (dampaners?)?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bugi58 Paul Smith
Brisbane, QLD, Australia   AUS
MK 1 1958 Bugeye Sprite

Front left suspension is very "spongy" and heard that I should have been topping up the fluid, but I'm unsure what fluid I should be putting in, where to purchase, how much is required and how to get it in.
Thanks in advance.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
gossie Avatar
gossie Howard Gostelow
Queensland, Gold Coast, Australia   AUS
I'm not sure exactly what goes into them, but my Bugeye was very soft when I got it, so I took them out and had them rebuilt.
It made a tremendous difference to the handling of that car.
WW in Virginia from memory mine were sent to when I got them out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-09 05:15 PM by gossie.

Attachments:
1960 BUGEYE SPRITE 001.JPG    52.4 KB
1960 BUGEYE SPRITE 001.JPG

westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
Armstrong hydraulic shock absorber (Hydraulic Dampener) oil. But I suspect better buying new
or reconditioned. Our cars are 60 plus years old and the front shocks may have been rebuilt
once or twice before! Good recon shocks are getting harder to get hold of. When tightening them
up they have a torque loading. I over tightened years ago and was surprised to see the bolts
had "stretched" as how I would put it!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bugi58 Paul Smith
Thank you guys for the replies. Gossie, do you know if the Healy Factory in Melbourne does the same work?
Westburn70, I don't know if we can get that over here (or if that is still available)...is this similar stuff:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/suspensn/fs110.htm

I'm thinking this may be a short-term fix and I'm going to have to do what Gossie suggests.

westburn70 Eric Flack
Hi Paul. Yes you can use that oil. Penrite (Aussie co) sell a shock oil for lever arm shocks. Penrite sell oil in UK.
I have some of the original Armstrong oil. Look upon it more as a short term fix!

gossie Avatar
gossie Howard Gostelow
In reply to # 202270 by Bugi58 Thank you guys for the replies. Gossie, do you know if the Healy Factory in Melbourne does the same work?
Westburn70, I don't know if we can get that over here (or if that is still available)...is this similar stuff:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/suspensn/fs110.htm

I'm thinking this may be a short-term fix and I'm going to have to do what Gossie suggests.

I should think Healey Factory would send shocks out to be rebuilt. I lived in Melbourne so knew the guys there quite well.

That WW place in Brisbane I should think would be as good as anyone for you though I guess.

Taking them out yourself will save you lots though as it took me a full day from memory getting them out of that front end on the Bug.

Have you spoken with the local Healey club guys? Big and small Healey's are in the club.

Bugi58 Paul Smith
Thanks again guys for the replies. Not enough sleep on the weekend...Gossie, when you said "WW in Virginia", I was thinking Virginia in the USA for some reason. Not the local suburb. smiling smiley
I should be able to get them out myself.

gossie Avatar
gossie Howard Gostelow
Sorry about that Paul on Virginia USA..........Give them a call first in Brisbane.
Can remember is was a bit of a beast of a job getting them out.......You needed to pull the front end apart.......Maybe I did it the hard way?

66Sprite Avatar
66Sprite David R
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
Hi Paul, below is a link to Penrite Shocker oil in Aus. I was planning to use some No1 in my Sprite when it goes back together. Cheers, David.

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/shocker-oil-1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpPuk9t_K2wIVUwwrCh25HgSpEAAYASAAEgK6hfD_BwE

westburn70 Eric Flack
E-mail "chevalierclassics@gmail.com". He supplies a kit containing Armstrong oil, gaskets, screws and "O" rings
to refurbish Armstrong level type shock absorbers. Based in UK.

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
Betrer yet, a set of 4 of Peter Caldwell's Rebuilt Lever Arm Shocks with improved valving that do not leak from the USA will make it even better.

Bugi58 Paul Smith
Thank you guys for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1958 Austin Healey 100 Six

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links