AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RAHealey Jeff L
Lakeville, MN, USA   USA
Doug:

So what brake set up do you use?

I noticed in the previous posted photos of the wheel well vents you had installed front brakes calipers that appeared not to be any where near “stock” or semi stock. Not even Jag like which many run. The aero quipe lines appeared to be larger than 3an or even 4an.

Jeff

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
wagonaire144 Avatar
wagonaire144 bill d
mequon, WI, USA   USA
Hello all hands,

Been absent from here for a long while, and am tickled to see activity while i have nothing constructive to add! Fantastic!!
i must have watched the vid several times each... the only addition i could add to Zachs' car now, would be to offer a suggestion that a water ski center mirror could help looking for attackers from behind. I use an Attwood parabolic, mounted in the standard spot, center of the dash. It gives me complete visibility from directly behind me, to next to me on the left. ( this being in a RHD car). I think you were hauling the mail, Zach. Each time i watched the film, i noticed that you closed up on the Alfa in the same places, and have a feel for how your chassis is working. A wee bit more time with the engine/chassis, and you'll be where you want to be.
My brakes are as Barry explained his. For years, i experimented with booster/master combo's, and simply got complicated brakes that didn't work the way we wanted. Finally,I used a Tilton Stock car (steel, less expensive) floor mounted pedal assy. with an integral bias bar, adjustable from the driving position, and with 3 piston Jag calipers from Mk.2 XJ6 in front, and vented DWR drums in the rear.
I love the feel of the brakes, and so far have no fade. But thats what happens when your engine is lame... once i make power, the brakes will scare me to death.
Victor, I think that between what i write and what others have added, asked, and proved, this is a great repository of info and encouragement to run on of these lovely beasts. I can't wait to get back on track. In the next couple weeks, i plan to list the causes of my Fall engine failure at RA, and mebbe even post pix. I'll try to post the parts to repair the damage, and the direction and motivation for changes i make for the next season. Included will be the gearbox rebuild as well. and the assembly of the straightcut box in the bargain.
Carry on, and get on track. We all could spend years building the perfect car, but by then, someone will have built a faster one. Just get your car to the level you can achieve/afford, and start racing it. Don't delay.
Jeff, when will you be back on track? In what? do tell...
billd

RAHealey Jeff L
Lakeville, MN, USA   USA
Bill

It sounds like your Healey will not be ready, you coming to RA for the May race? I will be ther crewing for McQueen / 106 , Powell and Johnk. With Wetzel will make it 4 big Healeys.

Jeff

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
wagonaire144 Avatar
wagonaire144 bill d
mequon, WI, USA   USA
Jeff et al,

Definately not ready for Spring RA. Still waiting for crank and cylinder head work to come home, and a legal solution to piston size. It always takes several math go-rounds for a bore size, and Valve-to-piston figures to become clear in my head. I have always had poor math comprehension, and try to visualize the proximity of the parts as they move. The best part is when it works. Imagining the opening speed of the valves, and the pistons arrival in the same space causes me to really do my sums. With luck, i'll be up at RA, working with Wagner. When he was 50 years old, he did a weekend of 2:48's, and then his times crept up to 2;50 and so on, up to 2:55. Then, he took a new view of his racing and he's back to 2:51, and we'll see if he gets back to 2:48.
He's now in his mid 70's, and seems to have more fun.

Hope to see you there!
billd

By the way, our pal in Canada, Dyrk Bolger, is touting a race meeting at his home circuit,Gimli Motorsport Park, eh? To be held in mid- August, is features AH, and he wants to attract as many Big cars as he can. Will the Minnesota Band be willing and able? I will try to collect all my hardware and be ready by then, and would like to go up. I like Winnepeg, and Canadiens in general.
billd

Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Bill -

The engine math is way beyond me, but luckely I've surounded myself with people much smarter. We've encountered some real clearance challenges with my current engine build. My machinist builds a lot of German hi-pro motors, BMW, etc. where the piston is proud of the block and the head gasket makes up the additional clearance. Give this, we've had a custom multi-layer all steel gasket made to give us the clearance needed for the Healey. I recall the company can make up to 150 thousands gasket that will keep a seal under race conditions. Hopefully my new custom rods will arrive next week as promised and final assemebly will be completed.

RAHealey Jeff L
Lakeville, MN, USA   USA
Bill

Gimli is being promoted both by the local racing club VSCR and the Minnesota Healey club.

Not sure how many Healeys will go.

Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Some interesting performance builds by BW Engine Development in the UK.

https://www.facebook.com/BW-engine-developments-1772818629662716/

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1957 Austin Healey 100 Six

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links